Current volunteering opportunities
There are many ways that you can join in and help with library services, ranging from one-off or short term projects, to those requiring a more regular commitment.
You can volunteer to be a Library Direct Home Service volunteer, a Digital Buddy or rhymetime or storytime assistant and more. Find out more about current volunteering opportunities in libraries.
Surrey libraries welcomes volunteers and greatly values the time and skills that our supporters give. We need you to help us build services which are relevant, innovative and respond to the needs of the local community.
By volunteering with us you can:
- Share your skills with others
- Learn new skills and gain valuable work experience
- Engage in your local community life
- Make new friends and meet like-minded people
- Explore new challenges and expand your horizons
- Enjoy interesting, absorbing and rewarding experiences while helping others
- Significantly contribute to the work of your library service.
This is what some of our lovely volunteers have had to say about their experience:
- It's so rewarding to enhance their already long list of life experiences with the world of computers, and how a computer can open their eyes to the world through the Internet etc.(Nigel – Digital Buddy Volunteer)
- My question is does anyone else come out of the library grinning like a Cheshire cat because they have enjoyed themselves? I never thought I would enjoy teaching the older generation to use a computer (Heidi – Digital Buddy Volunteer)
- I think that one of the best things about volunteering is that you are meeting people; you are helping them to live their lives. (Peter - Library Direct Volunteer)
- Most of all you need to like people. Book knowledge you can pick up. I enjoy meeting people and the satisfaction of providing a service. (Sue - Library Direct Volunteer)
- I heard about volunteering at the library from a friend, and its been more enjoyable that I thought it would be! I would recommend helping with the Summer Reading Challenge to others because its been a great summer being surrounded by books, and I'll definitely think about taking part again next year. (Catherine - Summer Reading Challenge Volunteer)
- I would highly recommend volunteering, as everybody there is so warm and friendly, and you get the chance to discover some great new books as well! (Charlotte - Summer Reading Challenge Volunteer)
- I would highly recommend volunteering for the Summer Reading Challenge to other young people; it really made my summer! (Emma - Summer Reading Challenge Volunteer)
Digital Buddy Interview
A Digital Buddy at Oxted library talks about his experience of helping people use computers, get online and make the most of the internet.
Applying to volunteer in a library
If you are interested in volunteering for us please fill in our: Expression of interest form.
Our library staff will contact you shortly to discuss your application and answer any questions you may have.
Some volunteer roles require a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check formally known as (CRB) to ensure the protection of vulnerable residents. We will advise you how this process is carried out if necessary.
Any local opportunities will also be advertised in your nearest library.
If you have any questions please contact Digital Services on 01483 543599 or email: email@example.com.