Surrey 2050 Place Ambition
The Surrey Future workshop on planning for the future held in June 2018 gave the Surrey Future Steering Board a remit to develop a new approach to growth for Surrey as a whole.
An agreed shared vision and set of strategic priorities was seen as central to this and in July 2019 the Surrey Future Steering Board launched "Surrey's 2050 Place Ambition" to facilitate good growth which:
- is proportionate and sustainable, focusing on the places where people both live and work;
- supports overall improvements to the health and well-being of our residents;
- is supported by the necessary infrastructure investment - including green infrastructure;
- delivers high quality design in our buildings and public realm;
- increases resilience and flexibility in the local economy;
- builds resilience to the impacts of climate change and flooding;
- is planned and delivered at a local level while recognising that this will inevitably extend at times across administrative boundaries.
Select the image on the right to view a larger version.
The Surrey 2050 Place Ambition recognises the value of local engagement and builds on existing aspirations and actions that partners are working towards.
The next stage of the strategy is to prepare an Implementation Framework with a clear set of strategic priorities for the partners to deliver during the first 10 year period (2020 to 2030). In order to shape this, six roundtables were held between December 2019 and January 2020 with experts in each of the fields to explore key themes:
- Building Resilience to Climate Change and Increasing our Natural Capital
- Future Mobility and Delivering Infrastructure
- Building our Future Workforce and Increasing Productivity
- The Future of Urban Areas & the Impact of Digital Technology
- Supporting Healthy Places and Changing Demographics
- What does the Place Ambition mean for the younger generation?
A summary of each of the roundtable discussions as well as attendance lists is available to download below.
A report setting out the shared vision and set of strategic priorities for the Surrey 2050 Place Ambition is also available to download below. The presentations from our 2019 conference can be seen on the Surrey 2050 Place Ambition Conference page.