- Name of service - Trading Standards
- Directorate - Consumer Protection Group
- Date of issue - 6 May 2021
- Date of current version - 6 May 2021
- Review date - 6 May 2024
The reasons why we use your personal data
This privacy notice applies to the functions of Buckinghamshire and Surrey Trading Standards service. All activities performed by the service are done so to fulfil its official functions and meet legal requirements under legislation.
What processing of personal data is undertaken by the specific teams or services
We use your personal information to perform our statutory and discretionary services and comply with our statutory obligations which include, but are not limited to:
- providing advice and guidance to businesses
- investigating complaints and recording actions taken
- identifying emerging issues and threats to residents in Buckinghamshire and Surrey
- working with other enforcement agencies
- working proactively to identify the issues causing the most harm and detriment in Buckinghamshire and Surrey
- for purposes of public safety
- fulfilling our safeguarding responsibilities for Buckinghamshire and Surrey residents
- providing services to Buckinghamshire and Surrey businesses and residents to promote fair trading
- taking enforcement and legal action where necessary
- performing our licensing functions
- ensuring our staff are safe at work
What information do we collect?
Trading Standards collects personal data from a range of sources in the course of exercising our duties and functions. The personal data we collect and use will include personal data and special category personal data.
Types of personal data we process may include information such as:
- Name, address, telephone number, email address and date of birth
- Sound and visual images, including footage recorded using body worn video
- Financial details
- Complaint and incident details
- Race or ethnic origin
- Physical or mental health
How we are allowed to use your personal data
The work that our Trading Standards team carry out is in the public interest. Furthermore, the team process your data in the exercise of official authority to carry out investigations under criminal and civil legislation.
Where we have consent to use your personal data, you have the right to remove it at any time. If you want to remove your consent, please contact us at the following email address firstname.lastname@example.org and we will deal with your request.
Who we share your personal data with
It may be necessary for us to share your personal data with the following organisations or partners:
- other local authority and regional trading standards or regulatory services
- other local authority adult social care services
- Police services
- central government departments or agencies with a regulatory or reporting function in an area of mutual interest
- the criminal justice system and agencies involved in it (for example Probation services, HM Courts Service, Witness Liaison and Victim Support services)
- partner agencies to reduce crime and disorder, anti-social behaviour and safeguarding of children and adults.
Any sharing of personal data is always done:
- on case-by-case basis
- using the minimum personal data necessary
- with the appropriate security controls in place
- in line with legislation
Information is only shared with those agencies and bodies who have a "need to know" or where you have consented to the sharing of your personal data to such persons.
We may use the information we hold about you to assist in the detection and prevention of crime or fraud. We may also share this information with other bodies that inspect and manage public funds.
Please see the Corporate Privacy Notice in respect of conditions for criminal offence data, enforcement investigations and prosecutions.
Automated decision making (when computers make any decisions about you)
Personal data being sent or processed outside of the UK and EU
Retention of data
We will hold your personal information for no longer than necessary in relation to the purposes for which it was collected - this period of time can change dependent on the applicable legislation. All information will be kept in accordance with SCC countywide data retention schedules.
All personal information is held securely and, once it is no longer needed, securely destroyed.
For further information on our privacy notices, please see information and privacy.