- Name of Service - Rural Transport Service
- Directorate - Environment, Transport and Infrastructure
- Date of issue - 2 July 2021
- Date of current version - 2 July 2021
- Review date - 2 July 2024
The reasons why we use your personal data
This privacy notice applies to the Rural Transport Service and includes the functions of the additional software system which coordinates the Rural Transport service that is operated in the Mole Valley area.
Passengers can book, pay for and track their transport journeys via an App, online website or call centre and various functions and data will be collected to facilitate this including:
- Personal information – in terms of marketing/route design and development for different social economic groups
- Data analytics – journey information
- Promotional – sending money off coupons and marketing information on new services
What processing of personal data is undertaken by the Service?
Your personal data is collated for the purposes of enabling passengers to make a transport journey providing transport access to key services such as health, education, shopping etc. In addition, we collect your personal data for the following:
- Service delivery
- Service improvement and planning
- Prevention & detection of crime/fraud
- Statistical analysis and reporting
What information do we collect?
Passenger information to enable transport journeys to be booked:
- Date of birth / Age range
- Mobility needs
- Telephone number
- Email address
- Journey information
- Driver ID/Number/Name
- Vehicle details
- Registration number / Operator licence or CT permit
How we are allowed to use your personal data
Legal obligation or public task under various UK legislation including but not limited to:
- Transport Act 1985 (To provide socially necessary bus services to key services)
To process your personal data, we will explain to you what we are asking you to agree to and why. If we have consent to use your personal data, you have the right to remove it at any time. This includes any processing being undertaken by our software supplier in Ireland.
If you want to remove your consent, please contact us at the following email address firstname.lastname@example.org and we will deal with your request.
Who we share your personal data with
Data will automatically be shared with transport operators providing the transport service as part of a contract to Surrey County Council. These operators will be using the additional software and will be required to sign a data sharing agreement.
In addition, data will be shared with the below organisations:
- Operating System supplier
- Only anonymised data will be provide to Department for Transport (DfT) for monitoring purposes
- Surrey Police - if an incident occurs and they need passenger data
- Only anonymised data will be shared with other Local authorities those adjoining Surrey participating in the Scheme
Automated Decision Making i.e. when computers make any decisions about you
Your transport journey request is assessed by a computer-generated algorithm which analyses and schedules a journey, if there is availability. If successful, your request is then confirmed to your email address or via the call centre. If unsuccessful (there is no capacity to provide the transport journey), passengers will be informed that their journey is not possible. This will be done via the App, website or call centre and the passenger will be able to request a modified journey/date/time.
Personal data being sent or processed outside of the UK and EU
Some processing of personal data undertaken by the software provider is in Ireland.
Retention of data
Data will be retained for 7 years.
For further information on our privacy notices, please see information and privacy.