Property Services - Privacy Notice
- Name of service - Property Services
- Directorate - Economy, Growth and Commercial
- Date of issue - 1 July 2018
- Review date - 01 Jan 2019
The reasons why we use your personal data
Purpose / function of the service
This privacy notice applies to the functions of the Property service that incorporates/carries out landlord/tenant functions within Surrey County Council.
What processing of personal data is undertaken by the specific teams or services
The information we require from you is used to manage your tenancy or leasehold agreement or other contract between you and Surrey County Council.
The processing activities we conduct can be summarised as:
- Managing your account charges and payments, including arrears.
- Managing the repairs, maintenance and adaptations of our properties.
- Ensuring tenancy (or contract) conditions are complied with, such as dealing with anti-social behaviour or fraud.
- Complying with relevant legislation and regulation.
What information do we collect?
- Full name (and proof of your identity / photo ID).
- Date of birth.
- Contact details (phone, e-mail or correspondence address).
- Details of anyone authorised to act on their behalf if applicable.
- Basic details (name and DOB) of all household residents.
- Banking details if you pay your rent by Direct Debit.
- Card details if you pay by card (however card details are not stored).
- Proof of housing eligibility, any interest or equity in other property.
- References from previous landlords or employers to confirm ability to pay the rent.
- Other personal information that will vary on a case by case basis to help us resolve breach of tenancy, alleged anti-social behaviour or fraud.
How we are allowed to use your personal data
- Landlord & Tenant Act 1954 (Part 2)
- Landlord & Tenant Act 1985
- Agricultural Holdings Act 1986
- Agricultural Tenancies Act 1995
Who we share your personal data with
Surrey County Council shares limited personal data with our contractors who are carrying out services on our behalf.
Our contractors are required to comply with the law and our own Data Processing Agreement to ensure data is managed appropriately and for specified purposes, including to run our out-of-hours telephone service or to complete emergency, responsive or planned property repairs.
We may share your information with a language translation service if it is necessary to translate any information into or from a foreign language for you.
Surrey County Council may need to share personal information with government departments and agencies, with our regulator and auditors, with utility companies or with other organisations and agencies where we are legally allowed to do so.
We may need to share information with solicitors, agents, mortgage brokers, financial advisors, court agents, surveyors and valuers relating to a property sale.
Automated decision making (when computers make any decisions about you)
We do not use automated decision making.
Personal data being sent or processed outside of the UK and EU
We do not send or process data outside of the UK and EU.
Retention of data
Information relating to a tenancy or lease agreement will be kept for as long as the agreement is active or where money is owed on the account, and for a period not exceeding seven years afterwards.
For further information on our privacy notices, please see information and privacy.