Surrey County Council Members - Privacy Notice

Who I am

I am an elected councillor for Surrey County Council. To fulfil my role as a representative of the residents in my division, for example by helping people who contact me, the law requires all elected members to adhere to the Data Protection Act 2018.

This gives protection to you that I will handle any personal information you give me confidentially.

How will I use your information?

If you ask me to pursue a matter on your behalf, I may use your information in order to seek a resolution to your query/concerns.

In order to help me pursue the matter further, I may pass your personal information to other relevant agencies – for example, your local Borough and District Council, the NHS or other public services. However, I can assure you that only the minimum personal information will be shared with other agencies, as necessary to assist you.

What information do I collect about you?

I collect personal information that is supplied to me in my role as a representative of the residents in my division. This includes information such as:

  • Details of specific cases
  • Information provided by signatories on petitions and
  • Contact details for the purpose of communicating news and updates

How long will I keep your information?

To ensure that records are retained in order to deal with a legal claim, or a potential claim, information may be retained for up to six years.

Councillors hold office for a term of up to four years. If a Councillor is not re-elected then they may destroy their case work or they may pass it to their successor.

Your individual rights

Briefly these are:

  • To be informed of uses of personal data
  • To ask for a copy of the data that Councillors hold on you
  • To ask them to correct data about you that is wrong
  • To ask them to delete data on you that is no longer needed
  • To restrict processing in some circumstances
  • To ask them to stop processing your data temporarily if you think it is wrong until they work out what is correct
  • To ask them to let you take a copy of your data in a portable format to another organisation

If you only gave me your data with consent, you have the right to withdraw that consent at any time.

If you wish to see any personal information that I hold about you or if you want me to update or correct any personal information that I hold about you – please contact me.

Changes to my privacy policy

This privacy policy was last updated on 6 May 2021.

How to contact me?

Please e-mail me if you have any queries regarding this privacy policy or how I handle your information.

Where can I get advice?

For independent advice about data protection, privacy and data sharing issues, you can contact the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) at:

Information Commissioner's Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire SK9 5AF

Telephone: 0303 123 1113 (local rate) or 01625 545 745 if you prefer to use a national rate number.

Alternatively, visit the ICO website or email

Subscribe to our newsletters for latest news and events.