- Name of service - Work Experience (Learning and Development Team)
- Directorate - Transformation, Partnerships and Prosperity
- Date of issue - 6 February 2019
- Date of current version - 3 June 2021
- Review date - 3 June 2024
The reasons why we use your personal data
Purpose / function of the service
Surrey County Council provides work experience across the business which offers young people the opportunity to develop their skills in a workplace environment and supports our Strategic Statement.
Work experience that is well-planned and well-organised has an important role in developing students' employability skills, personal and social skills and helps them learn about the world of work. The key message is for placements to be 'meaningful'.
It is one of the most important activities linking employers and educational establishments. Work experience has also formed an integral part of 16-19 study programs since September 2013.
What processing of personal data is undertaken by the specific teams or services
We use your personal information to:
- ensure you meet the criteria for the Work Experience Programme
- source you a meaningful placement (this will involve us sharing information provided with other SCC departments to enable them to make an informed decision about offering a suitable placement)
- contact you by email with updates regarding placement opportunities or suggest alternatives if your original choice is not available
- other SCC departments may need to contact you to discuss placement arrangements
- issue you (the applicant) with a certificate at the end of successful placement
- let you know of SCC job site and our apprenticeship website
- record and collect data on the work experience programme to monitor our outcomes and ensure we are supporting our 'Strategic Statement' as a Local Authority
What information do we collect?
In the course of applying for work experience through the SCC work experience webpage we collect the following personal information when you provide it to us:
- your personal information (such as name, address, date of birth, contact number, email address, date of birth, gender)
- name, contact number and email address of work placement/career advisor
- name, contact number of emergency contact
- special category information (such as ethnic group, if you have any disabilities, religion, sexual orientation if disclosed)
- work placement subject requested
- Interests, exams, personal statement, current school or educational establishment (if applicable).
How we are allowed to use your personal data
To process your personal data, we will explain to you what we are asking you to agree to and why. If we have consent to use your personal data, you have the right to remove it at any time. If you want to remove your consent, please contact us at the following email address email@example.com and we will deal with your request.
If we need to collect special category (sensitive) personal information, we rely upon reasons of substantial public interest (equality of opportunity or treatment).
Who we share your personal data with
We only share your personal information with other SCC departments that offer work experience placements.
We will share personal information with law enforcement or other authorities if required by applicable law.
Automated decision making (when computers make any decisions about you)
We do not use automated decision making.
Personal data being sent or processed outside of the UK and EU
We do not send or process data outside of the UK and EU.
Retention of data
We will hold your personal information for no longer than one year, after which time it will be archived or securely destroyed.
For further information on our privacy notices, please see information and privacy.