We make much of our information available on this website. Some of it is available as open data.
There are three pieces of legislation that give you the right to ask for any information that we don't already make available. They are:
1. The Freedom of Information Act 2000
- gives you the right to access information held by public bodies
- explains any situations where you won't have the right to access information
- does NOT provide a right of access to personal information about yourself. You can use the Data Protection Act to ask for this information.
2. The Data Protection Act 1998
- sets standards for handling personal information
- gives rights to the people the information is about, including the right for you to request a copy of information that is held about yourself.
3. The Environmental Information Regulations 2004
- gives a right of access to all recorded information about the environment that we hold.
We issue privacy notices to explain how Surrey County Council processes personal information that we have to share with other organisations.