Web standards help us meet accessibility, usability and technical requirements. They also ensure we follow SCC house style and any legal or policy obligations.
See our guide to writing web pages for help with creating web pages and projects for Surrey County Council public website, S-Net and microsites.
Here is a quick guide to the most popular standards:
Page titles, metadata and keywords
- Keep page titles short
- Make titles meaningful
- Add a description and keywords
For more information, see Web standards for page titles and Web standards for adding page descriptions and keywords.
Headings and sub headings
- Headings break up text on pages
- Use headings in order, ie H2 then H3 - always start with an H2 before using an H3
- Don't use 'bold' to format a heading - it's already done for you
For more information on headings, see Web standards for headings (H2) and sub headings (H3).
- Use anchor links
- Add "Return to top" links
- Put the most important information at the top of the page.
For more information on page layout, see Web standards for page layout.
- Follow the council's house style
- Don't use block capital letters or italics
- Check your spelling and grammar
For more information on formatting text, see Web standards for text.
- Don't use 'click here'
- Make sure all your links work
- Use asset IDs to link internal pages, not URLs
- Use 'see also' links only for related pages.
For more information on using links, see Web standards for links.
- Use images that support the text
- Use correct image sizes
- Place images on the right-hand side
For more information on using images, see Web standards for images.
- Only use column headings in tables as information must read from left to right.
- Do not use tables to create columns for body text or to position images on a page.
For the full web standards, see Web standards for tables.
- Keep PDFs smaller than 1MB (see PDF standards for exceptions).
- Use lower case for filenames with no special characters (use - or _ to replace spaces)
- Help your customer by adding attachments as 'Files available to download' and give the file type eg 'Self directed support leaflet (PDF'
Contact details on web pages
- Do not use individual staff phone numbers or email addresses unless you have permission from the Head of Customer Services. Please contact the Web and Digital team if you need to request this.
For the full web standards on contact information, see Web standards for contact information.
Help with web standards
If you need any help with using the web standards, or would like to ask about writing new web content, shortcut URLs, multimedia, audio, video and Web 2.0, please get in touch with your Web and Digital Services team:
- Email: Web and Digital Services or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tel: 020 8541 8788
Files available to download
- Web standards checklist for page authors - updated November 2017 (94.9 KB)
Web standards checklist for page authors to follow when creating, editing and approving Surrey County Council web pages
In this section...
- Web standards for page titles
- Web standard for adding page descriptions and keywords to web pages
- Web standards for headings (H2) and sub headings (H3)
- Web standards for page layout
- Web standards for text
- Web standards for links
- Web standards for images and maps
- Web standards for tables
- Web standards for PDFs and other file types
- How to create accessible PDF documents
- Web standards for contact information
- Web standards for developers and suppliers