Skip to main content

Charges for some non-household waste at our recycling centres

Residents who take large amounts of non-household waste – such as DIY/construction waste and tyres – now need to pay to take them to Surrey’s community recycling centres (CRCs). All other types of household waste can still be taken to CRCs for free.

Charges for some non-household wasteWhat are the charges for?

The charges are for:

  1. Tyres from cars, motorcycles and all other motorised vehicles: £5 per tyre or part tyre.
  2. Waste from construction, alteration or repair of your home and garden including:
    • Breeze blocks, bricks, rubble, soil, stones, ceramic bathroom fittings, tiles: £4 per bag or part bag of this waste (Bags no bigger than 50cm x 77cm)
    • Concrete fence post, ceramic bath, cistern, paving slab: £4 per item
    • Plasterboard: £4 per bag or part bag or per sheet of this waste (Bags no bigger than 50cm x 77cm and sheets no bigger than 120cm x 240cm).

If these materials are loose, a charge of £50 will apply per car load.

A full list of the types of waste that will be charged for (PDF)

All of the above charges are inclusive of VAT.

The decision of site staff is final.

Payment can only be made by Visa or Mastercard debit and credit cards. Cash, cheques and other credit cards such as American Express or Diners Club cannot be accepted. Payment will need to be made to the Charging Scheme Officer at the site entrance before you are given access to the chargeable containers.

Will there be any exceptions to the charges?

You will have a free daily allowance of waste from the construction, alteration or repair of your home and garden of one bag OR one item OR one sheet of plasterboard (see size restrictions above) per household.

There is no free allowance for motorised vehicle tyres, however bicycle tyres will be accepted free of charge.

What can be taken to CRCs for free?

 Most other general household waste can still be taken to CRCs for free in a car, including:

  • Garden waste such as grass cuttings, hedge trimmings, twigs, small branches, plants, flowers, leaves and weeds (refer to our garden waste page for advice on intrusive weeds). Please be aware that soil, rubble and stones are part of the charging scheme.
  • Clothes and home textiles
  • Scrap metal
  • Carpets
  • Furniture
  • Electricals including white goods.
  • Wood from DIY projects such as doors, flooring, sheds, fencing and posts.
  • Kitchens cabinets, fitted wardrobes. 

If you take waste to any of our sites in a van, pickup or trailer you will require a van permit.

Please be aware you cannot bring the following types of waste to our CRCs in a van:

  • Soil, rubble, stones and plasterboard
  • Wood from DIY projects such as doors, flooring, sheds, fencing and posts
  • Kitchens cabinets, fitted wardrobes

Which CRCs accept charging scheme waste?

Nearest alternative charging scheme CRC(s)

If you take chargeable waste to any of the remaining six CRCs listed below, you will be redirected to one of the nearest sites above.

CRCs not accepting charging scheme waste Nearest alternative CRC accepting charging scheme waste

Bond Road, Warlingham 

Horley Road, Earlswood, RH1 6PN

Bourne Mill, Farnham

Petworth Road, Witley, GU8 5QW

Chaldon Road, Caterham 

Horley Road, Earlswood, RH1 6PN

Elmbridge Road, Cranleigh

Petworth Road, Witley, GU8 5QW

Ranmore Road, Dorking

Randalls Road, Leatherhead, KT22 0BA
Swift Lane, Bagshot Slyfield Industrial Estate, Guildford, GU1 1RU or Martyrs Lane, Woking GU21 5NJ

You can only bring charging scheme waste to the CRCs in a car. If you are bringing charging scheme waste in a van, pickup or trailer you must take it to any of the waste transfer stations located at Guildford, Epsom or Leatherhead to be weighed and charged for.

Do I have to use a CRC for chargeable waste?

No. CRCs are not designed to accept large quantities of this type of waste. For large home or garden renovation projects please consider factoring in the cost of hiring a skip or using a commercial waste contractor to dispose of such waste. Details of local companies who deal with this type of waste can be found by searching online or in local directories. It is important to always check that any contractor you hire to dispose of your waste is a registered waste carrier to avoid your waste being fly-tipped.

Why were charges introduced?

Increased demand for essential services, coupled with reduced Government funding, means Surrey County Council (SCC) needs to reduce its spending in other areas. The council is required to provide a place for residents in its area to deposit their household waste free of charge. However there are some types of waste that are not classified as household waste, and therefore we are not legally obliged to accept them free of charge.

Therefore, from 1 September 2016 charges were introduced for some non-household waste at the nine community recycling centres (CRCs) that accept these types of waste. These charges are intended to help SCC achieve critical savings while still maintaining a comprehensive service for its residents.

Will these charges increase fly-tipping?

Other councils have not seen any increase in fly-tipping as a result of charges for non-household waste at their CRCs. Visit the Recycle for Surrey website for more information about tackling fly-tipping.

For more information please refer to our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) below.

Files available to download