Skip to main content

Common questions about the van, pickup and trailer permit

How to apply for the van, pickup and trailer permit

You will need to apply online with:

  • A valid email address (for receipt of your permit, which you need to access our community recycling centres.
  • To create a Surrey account (using the link below). Once registered, please click on "Quick Links" to apply for your permit.
  • Note: Before being able to apply for a van, pickup and trailer permit, you are required to read and accept our terms and conditions first.

Apply for van, pickup and trailer permit

How long does the permit last and cost?

The van, trailer and pickup permit is free and will entitle you to 12 visits in one calendar year, (automatically renewing on your first visit in the new calendar year).

Return to top

I don't live in Surrey, can I apply for a permit?

No, you need to be a Surrey resident to apply for this permit.

What waste can I bring to the CRCs with this van permit?

You are just allowed to bring household waste.

Please note: You cannot bring household construction waste (including waste from home DIY projects) or business waste, which must be taken to a waste transfer station, where it will be weighed and charged.

What is considered a van?

For the purpose of the permit scheme, a van is:

  • Any vehicle without side rear windows
  • Any flatback vehicle
  • Any pickup vehicle (two seater or four seater)
  • Any large MPV where the seats have been removed
  • Camper vans
  • A vehicle that is pulling a trailer

Passenger vehicles where the seats have been removed (ie not being used for what they were intended eg to 'transport passengers'), may also be classified as a van. This could include minibuses and large hatchback cars.

If you are regularly entering our sites in these types of vehicles, seen to be bringing in large quantities of construction waste, you may be challenged by site staff.

Return to top

I have hired a van, can I apply for a permit?

Yes, you can apply for a van permit - select 'hire vehicle' in the 'type of vehicle' field. Please, be aware this will only be valid for 7 days. You can apply for subsequent permits for a 'hire vehicle', but overall you will be allocated 12 visits per year not per permit.

You will need to take your permit, your hire documentation together with proof of residency to the recycling centre, as you will be asked for proof that it is a hire vehicle. Without the correct documentation, you will be refused entry into the site.

If you have a permit for a personal vehicle and then need a permit for a hire vehicle, you can apply for it online. The hire permit will run along side your personal permit for 7 days, after this it will expire and your personal permit will continue.

I have hired a man and van to get rid of my waste - can he have a permit?

No. As soon as you give your waste to someone else and pay for them to take it away, it becomes commercial waste. It must be taken to a waste transfer station where it will be weighed and they will have to pay for its disposal.

Where can I take household waste using a van, trailer or pickup?

  • Camberley
  • Earlswood
  • Epsom
  • Guildford
  • Leatherhead
  • Lyne
  • Shepperton
  • Witley
  • Woking

Return to top

Where can't I take household waste using a van, trailer or pickup?

  • Bagshot
  • Caterham
  • Cranleigh
  • Dorking
  • Farnham
  • Warlingham

What do I need to bring to the CRC?

When accessing our sites you must provide a visual copy of your permit (either printed or via a smart phone or tablet) together with proof of ID if asked.

If your permit number does not match the registration number of the vehicle you have registered with us, you will be refused entry.

A small number of permits, issued when the scheme was originally introduced, do not show the registration number for the vehicle that they have been issued for. If this applies to your permit, then you will also need to show proof of residency in Surrey when visiting your Community Recycling Centre. You can obtain an updated permit showing your vehicle's registration number by calling us on 03456 009 009.

How do I renew my van, pickup and trailer permit?

You don't need to apply for a new van permit every year. It will automatically be renewed on your first visit in the new calendar year.

Return to top

How do I change my details?

If any of your details (your address, email address, telephone number or vehicle registration number) change, you are required to update your permit details online via your Surrey account.

Your details will already be in our system, so do not try to create another permit as any new applications will fail.

Note: You will need to accept our terms and conditions before any changes will be accepted.

Why do we have the van, pickup and trailer permit scheme?

Our community recycling centres are for household waste only. Businesses must use waste transfer stations and pay for the disposal of their waste.

As businesses mostly bring their waste in vans and trailers, these type of vehicles need a permit to use the recycling centre.

This allows residents with a van or trailer to use the centres to dispose of their own household waste whilst keeping businesses out. This reduces congestion at the centres and means that businesses contribute to the cost of disposing of their waste.

Why can I only make 12 visits in a calendar year?

Increased demand for essential services, coupled with reduced government funding, means Surrey County Council needs to reduce its spending in other areas. Changes to the van permit system will enable the council to make critical savings while still maintaining a comprehensive service for residents.

Return to top