This page contains information for people on or applying to the Faculty of Public Health (FPH) specialty training scheme only.
- For more about careers in public health visit the Health Careers website.
- For careers in Surrey County Council visit our Jobs page.
Specialty training placements in Surrey
Surrey County Council provides a friendly and lively training environment for new public health registrars. We offer a wide range of opportunities covering all three dimensions of public health (health improvement, health protection and healthcare public health). Registrars commonly work with:
- other members of the Public Health Team
- other departments in Surrey County Council
- local CCGs
- local Integrated Care Systems
- local District and Borough Councils
- Public Health England
- academic organisations
- voluntary organisations.
In Surrey you will be given the opportunity to shadow the Director of Public Health and consultants in public health, as well as senior leaders with Surrey County Council, to make sure you get a full overview of the whole local authority. We place particular emphasis on registrars being given genuine responsibility for projects which are appropriate for their level of experience.
Our training responsibilities are taken very seriously so you will have regular meetings with your supervisor to ensure the work you are given meets your educational needs. We will also ensure you have full opportunity to attend regional training days and are able to use your personal study budget to attend external events which further your interests.
As a popular training location, we regularly have more than one registrar on placement providing opportunities for peer support and mentoring by more senior registrars.
Projects by previous registrars include:
- development of telemedicine care pathways and associated business cases with secondary care consultants, for local prison services
- writing an environmental sustainability strategy for the STP and subsequent presentation to the Transformation Board
- undertaking an evidence review to inform local prescribing guidelines for testosterone
- writing health equity audit of NHS Health Checks
- leading development of local CCG health profiles
- developing template for local community needs assessment
- modelling impact on cost and coverage of different approaches to prioritising NHS Health Checks
- developing and writing health needs assessment for prevention and treatment of falls
- writing JSNA chapters on various topics
- undertaking evidence reviews for Surrey Priorities Committee to inform treatment not routinely funded and treatment with thresholds policies
- presenting individual cases on individual funding request panels
- leading Chlamydia screening commissioning and procurement
- implementation of pilot project to increase seasonal flu immunisation of care home staff
- development of Wheel of Wellbeing Strategy for council
- implementation of health impact assessment across county departments.
If you want to have a chat about Surrey placements with a current or former registrar placed in Surrey then please do get in touch. Please note that registrar shadowing is only arranged through the regional Taster and Shadowing Programme.
The Educational Supervisor role is shared between Dr Julie George (email@example.com) and Dr Liz Saunders (firstname.lastname@example.org). Our main office is Surrey County Council, County Hall, Penrhyn Road, Kingston upon Thames KT1 2DN, with good transport links from Kingston and Surbiton national rail stations. We also have offices in Guildford, Woking, Leatherhead and Redhill. Flexibility around training base is possible. For further information please email the educational supervisors or ring 020 8541 8757.