Other support and services for you and your disabled child

If you are a parent of a disabled child there are many sources of support and advice available, including:

Children with physical or sensory disability

Our Physical and Sensory Support Service support the educational needs of hearing impaired, vision impaired and physically disabled children and young people of all ages at home and at school.

Deaf children

Our Deaf Services Team provides social care support services to hearing impaired children and adults and accept referrals including self-referrals. The team can be contacted:

  • Via our website Contact us form
  • By email: ssd.dst@surreycc.gov.uk
  • Telephone/minicom: 01372 376558
  • SMS/text message: 07854 238 787

Visually impaired children

Sight for Surrey provides information and support for children, young people and their families, a children's recreation programme, children's registrations, including maintaining the certificate of Visual Impairment register and formal mobility and life skills assessment and training.

Befriending and advocacy

Face to Face Surrey and Sussex offers a free and confidential befriending service, with befriending arrangements designed to be informal and flexible to suit you. They support parents of children with any type of disability or special need.

The South East Advocacy Team (SEAT) supports blind and partially sighted people and offers advocacy services for parents and carers of children with a visual impairment. Made up of four charities (Blatchington Court Trust, LOOK-London, Royal London Society for the Blind and RNIB), SEAT can be contacted on 020 7388 1266 (switchboard number - please ask for South East Advocacy Team).

Support organisations

The Contact a Family family support service offers one-to-one help to families caring for a child aged 0-19 years of age, with any kind of disability. Through its helpline it also provides information and advice on a wide range of aspects of caring for a disabled child.

Surrey Coalition of Disabled People campaigns and promotes the rights of disabled people to equality of opportunity and to live independently. Contact them by email at info@surreycoalition.org.uk or phone on 01483 456558.

Dealing with bullying

Contact a Family, an organisation for families with children who are disabled, has a guide to dealing with bullying for parents of disabled children.

Young people with disabilities

See our advice on covering the transition to adulthood.

Quality and complaints

Ofsted (the Office for Standards in Education, Children's Services and Skills) regulates and inspects services which care for children and young people and provide education and skills to those of any age. To see reports on our services visit the Ofsted inspection report site.

The Care Quality Commission is the independent regulator of health and social care in England aiming to make sure better care is provided for everyone, whether that's in hospital, in care homes, in people's own homes, or elsewhere. The CQC can also look into concerns concerns or complaints about care homes, social care, healthcare or NHS services .

  • Updated: 01 Oct 2014