Celebration Fund for Looked After Children and Care Leavers
What is this fund for?
All councillors at Surrey County Council are committed to being good corporate parents and this means they will encourage and support children and young people in care and leaving care to achieve their potential. To help with this there is a small, discretionary fund that all Members are asked to contribute to, which as corporate parents we set aside to:
- support a child/young person pursue a hobby or interest
- participate in a one off activity that will really benefit a child/young person's overall wellbeing
- provide a child/young person with some additional 'equipment' to help be independent/achieve a goal
- go on a visit, trip or excursion (e.g. school trip)
- celebrate achievements.
This is not an exhaustive list and all applications will be processed on an individual basis.
The applications and awards made through this fund are expected to make a positive difference to a child or young person's life in his/her personal growth, development and achievement.
Please be aware that due to limited funding available what is applied for must be outside of what children in care and care leavers are entitled to and what we expect the child or young person's carer to normally provide.
How much is the award?
The maximum amount of each award is £300 per child/per young person (exceptions can be made if a case is clearly made as to why more would be required.) In order to ensure that as many children and young people can benefit from this fund as possible, each child/young person is entitled to a maximum of one award in a financial year.
How to make an application
Applications can be made by professionals working with looked after children and care leavers. Including but not limited to; Social Workers, Personal Advisors and the Principal Lead for the Virtual School.
Social Workers, Personal Advisers and the Principal Lead for the Virtual School:
Please complete the Celebration Fund for Looked After Children and Care Leavers application form, in collaboration with the child or young person.
We really want to hear the voice of children and young people throughout the application process, and encourage you to include pictures, video or audio clips where possible.
Looked after children, care leavers and carers:
- please work with your keyworker as they will be responsible for submitting applications
- help prepare your application by recording an audio, video clip or paragraph explaining what this award would mean to you and how it would make a positive difference.
For this financial year (2020-2021) applications will be considered as follows:
- 30 June 2020 panel will consider applications submitted prior to 11 June 2020
- 30 Nov 2020 panel will consider applications submitted between 12 June 2020 – 1 Nov 2020
- 1 March 2021 panel will consider applications submitted between 2 Nov 2020 – 31 January 2021
We will aim to make the result of any application known to you within two weeks of the panel's decision.
If the application is unsuccessful, we will explain the reason for this decision and will provide feedback to help improve potential future applications.
If the application is successful, we will contact you to obtain further details to ensure payments can be processed.
The panel would be delighted to hear about the ways this fund has helped children and young people so please do let us know by emailing email@example.com
Otherwise, we may contact you for feedback at a later date.
Your corporate parents look forward to receiving your application!
If you have any queries regarding this scheme, encounter difficulties making an application or have any feedback about the process, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Files available to download
- Celebration Fund Guidance 2020-2021 (PDF)
Guidance for applications for the Celebration Fund for Looked After Children and Care Leavers (April 2020 – March 2021).