Assessment, consultation and therapy (ACT) decision matrix
Once you have evaluated a child/young person's sexual behaviour using one of our checklists, you will be able to see whether the behaviour is healthy, problematic or abusive and make an informed decision about what action is needed. The decision matrix guides you on your possible next steps. If you are still unsure and need more advice, email email@example.com or call ACT on 01483 519606.
All sexually harmful behaviour should be made known to ACT (see Section 5.6 of Surrey Child Protection Procedures).
- Healthy - there is no cause for concern.
- Healthy/problematic - predominantly healthy but a few problematic areas? Some relatively low key intervention is needed and will probably involve parents.
- Problematic/healthy - predominantly problematic but some healthy aspects? Some intervention and discussion with parents and services for families is needed.
- Problematic – all areas are problematic? Work is needed but not necessarily a serious level of intervention or even a referral to a 'services for families' assessment team. Discussion with the child or young person and parents, re-direction of the behaviour and boundary setting may be all that is needed. For others, discussion with services for families will be important, to gain further information and understanding about the child and family, or to discuss the level of risk posed and how these and the child's needs will be met in the school or nursery setting.
- Problematic/abusive - predominantly problematic but some abusive areas? Discussion with services for families is needed and a decision to be made on how and when the parents are told.
- Abusive/problematic - predominantly abusive with some problematic aspects? A referral to services for families must be made before any discussions are had with parents.
- Abusive - all areas abusive? Discussion and referral to services for families is a priority.
- Abusive/healthy - predominantly abusive? There are unlikely to be healthy aspects.
Files available to download
- Checklist for evaluating sexual behaviour - nursery and primary settings (PDF)
Assessment Consultation Therapy - Checklist for evaluating sexual behaviour - nursery and primary settings
- Checklist for evaluating sexual behaviour - secondary schools (PDF)
Assessment Consultation Therapy - Checklist for evaluating sexual behaviour - secondary schools
- Checklist for evaluating sexual behaviour - children and young people with special needs (PDF)
Assessment Consultation Therapy - Checklist for evaluating sexual behaviour - children and young people with special needs