There are so many things to look out for as your children grow up. Here are some sources of information you may find useful.
- Safekids - tips advice and guidance on child safety matters – from when can a child sit in the front seat of a car through to technology that can help keep children safe.
- Water safety - our leaflet giving practical advice on keeping children safe in water, indoors and outside.
- Keep them safe – our leaflet about storing methadone and other drugs.
Out and about
- Childalert - tips on car seat safety, child proofing, cycle safety, personal safety and shopping in safety.
- Tales of the Road - for road safety advice
- Gov.uk site - the rules around car seats.
- Think! – advice for all road users and Think! Cycling specifically for cyclists and motorists.
- Bikeability- cycling proficiency for the 21st century, tested over three Bikeability levels
- DriveSMART - cycle training for children 16+.
- Handle with care – never shake a baby – our leaflet about the dangers of shaking a baby.
- Family life– advice on all aspects of family life including relationships, wellbeing and the ages and stages of your child's development.
- Stop It Now – an organisation working through education and information to prevent child sexual abuse.
- Surrey's child protection service - our leaflet explains how this works. This is also available in other languages including Hungarian, Mandarin Chinese, Polish , Portuguese, Punjabi, Spanish, Tamil, Thai , Turkish and Urdu.
- Concerned about a child – what to do if you are concerned about a child.
Although educational and good for communicating through the internet can pose some dangers to children who can reveal information about themselves, particularly on forums and in chat rooms. They can also come across inappropriate content or be subject to bullying online – via computer or mobile phone. But there are various steps you can take to help keep them safe.
- General advice
- Child alert internet safety - for basic rules on keeping safe.
- SafeKids– help on using the internet and technology safely and responsibly.
- Kidsmart– a practical internet safety programme for parents, young people and schools.
- Get Safe Online- how to keep children safe and within the law online and how to prevent cyber bullying.
- Think U Know- the parent and carers guide to the internet and advice for children.
- Think U Know – mobile phones - the risks of mobiles and what parents can do to help.
- Cyber bullying - mobile phone bullying, what to do abut it and how to report it.
- Be Internet SMART- being safe and smart online.