Planned hospital visits and stays
Getting to hospital
If you need help getting to your appointment there are lots of organisations that can provide transport. Dial-a-Ride and community transport organisations often offer either scheduled services or door-to-door transport to local hospitals.
Day surgery or pre-admission
If you are going into hospital for a pre-admission or day surgery appointment and know you will need specific care and support afterwards, let us know in advance so we can arrange for an assessment of your needs, or signpost you to other organisations that can provide the support you need.
There are organisations that will help you find someone to look after your pets while in hospital.
- The Cinnamon Trust has over 15,000 volunteers who foster pets while people are in hospital.
- Your local RSPCA or vet may be able to suggest some options
- Your local kennel or cattery may also be able to help
If you, or your carer, are admitted to hospital in an emergency we have a responsibility to consider if we need to make arrangements on your behalf to:
- Make sure your property is secure and/or
- Make sure any pets are looked after. Ideally arrangements will be made with a family member, friend or neighbour. Where this is not possible we will arrange a cattery, kennel or similar
You may be expected to pay any reasonable costs for us to make these arrangements.
If you are in an NHS hospital and will need care and support after you leave, this will be arranged for you in hospital. Our social care teams in hospital work in partnership with hospital staff and community health providers seven days a week
If you are going into a private hospital for surgery or treatment and think you may need care and support afterwards there are a number of organisations in Surrey that can provide short term services to support your recovery. Search our online directory of care and support – Surrey Information Point – using words such as ‘reablement’ ‘short term support’, or ‘home from hospital’.
You could also ask us for an assessment of your needs. Only those with eligible needs may be entitled to receive funded support from the council.