Skip to main content

Reporting adult abuse and help and advice

If you are at risk of abuse, neglect or harm – or suspect someone else is – please report it.

In an emergency, dial 999 for the police.

Otherwise, please contact the Surrey Multi Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH):

Report concerns of abuse or harm

The MASH responds to initial enquiries about children, young people and adults. It is based at Guildford Police Station and combines Children's Service social workers, Adult's Service social workers, and health and police staff.

If you have already been in touch with adult social care or children's social care services, please contact your allocated social worker or family support worker directly. If you wish to report concerns directly to the Police, please call 101.

Who to contact for further help and advice

  • Care Quality Commission
    Telephone: 03000 616161 or email:
  • Elder Abuse Response
    Telephone: 0808 808 8141 or email:
  • Respond
    Telephone: 0808 808 0700 or email:
  • Surrey domestic abuse helpline
    Telephone: 01483 776822
  • Surrey Police
    Telephone: 101 or 01483 571 212

Return to top

What rights do you have?

  • Live free from violence, fear and harm
  • Be protected from harm and exploitation
  • Be independent – which may involve some risk
  • Say 'No' to anything they don't fully understand

Return to top

What to look out for?

  • Unexplained injury
  • Signs of fear or distress
  • Withdrawal
  • Neglect
  • Theft, fraud or financial exploitation

Return to top

What you should do?

  • Do act if you suspect a vulnerable person is being harmed
  • Do talk to the person – listen carefully
  • Do give the person your full attention
  • Do telephone one of the contact numbers below - even if your are not sure

Return to top

What you should not do?

  • Don't ignore it
  • Don't promise to keep it a secret
  • Don't put it off

Return to top

What we do when you report an adult at risk

  • We will decide what we can do to help within 24 hours of hearing about the adult at risk. If we hear about the adult at risk in the evening or weekend we will still decide what to do within 24 hours.
  • To help us decide what to do, we may need to talk to you or the person reported to be at risk and to other people, such as family members, carers and staff, GPs and possibly the police.
  • The police may tell us that a crime has been committed. In this case the police will investigate what has happened.
  • If we think that you, or anyone you told us about, is at immediate risk of being badly hurt, you should dial 999.
  • We will then plan the best way of finding out what the person at risk wants to happen next. We might involve people who understand how to help keep you or the person at risk safe.
  • We will act to ensure that you or the person at risk can be kept safe from abuse and to decide what other help can be given to continue to keep you or the person at risk safe.
  • If it is decided that there is no need for any further enquiries about abuse or neglect, action will still be taken to ensure that you, or the person at risk, is kept safe and the incident you reported does not happen again.

At all times, the safety of the adult at risk will be our priority, so please make sure you report harm because then we can stop it.