Skip to main content

Sheltered housing

Sheltered housing, sometimes called retirement housing, is specifically designed for older people.

The accommodation usually consists of self-contained flats, so each flat has its own front door, and some communal facilities. There will also be a scheme manager (warden) and all should provide 24-hour emergency help through an alarm system.

There are many different types of sheltered housing schemes and retirement homes to rent or buy.

Contact your local district or borough council housing department (links below) to find out more about the rented sheltered housing options in your area.

Visit the Elderly Accommodation Counsel (EAC) HousingCare website which lists sheltered and retirement housing available to buy across the UK.