Care and support for adults

Mental health support

View on YouTube

Anyone can experience times when their mental health is not good and there are many types of mental health problems. They can be caused by changes in people's lives such as bereavement, relationship breakdown, losing a job or unemployment. Seeking help early is important to understand what it is you, or someone you know, is experiencing and what treatment and support is right for you.

There is a wide range of support in Surrey provided by many different organisations that you can access. These include the local mental health trust, Surrey and Borders Partnership NHS Foundation Trust (SABP), charities and the county council.

Need help urgently?

If you feel like you, or someone you care for, might attempt suicide, or may have seriously harmed yourself, you need urgent medical help. Please call the crisis line on 0800 915 4644. This phone line, run by Surrey and Borders Partnership (SABP), is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year for mental health advice and support.

People with speech or hearing difficulties can access the service by: Dialling through the BT Relay App or Textphone: 18001 0800 915 4644 or sending an SMS text to 07717 989 024. More information is available at the SABP website or you can call 999 in an emergency.

You could also visit any of the five Safe Havens which are open in the evenings, at weekends and on bank holidays and managed by mental health professionals trained to help people in a crisis situation. If you are a professional wishing to refer someone to social care please use our online form.

Refer yourself for support

Talking to someone is the first step towards getting help. A doctor will be able to assess your condition and advise on what support you could receive. Rethink, the national mental health charity has advice on speaking to your doctor and how to prepare so you get the most out of your appointment.

You can also refer yourself to local services such as:

  • Talking Therapies Surrey who provide one-to-one, group based and online talking therapies as well as self-help resources.
  • Community Connections Surrey , for anyone interested in receiving support for emotional wellbeing. This includes one-to-one support, as well as group support for things like depression, eating disorders, and bi-polar disorder.

Getting mental health support online

  • The Virtual Wellbeing Hub is a great way to join events or support services virtually from the comfort of your own home. There's a wide range of sessions available such as yoga, coffee mornings, arts and crafts, mindfulness and meditation, most of which are free.
  • The First Steps guide offers a range of information and self-help techniques to help support your emotional wellbeing.
  • Every Mind Matters offers information and practical tips on a range of topics such as sleeping, managing difficult thoughts and feelings and the impact of Coronavirus.
  • There are lots of tools and apps that are approved by the NHS or Public Health teams that can help you. Visit Healthy Surrey for links to them and try some to help yourself.
  • SABP also provides good links to relevant apps.

Specialist services

SABP has community and mental health recovery services dedicated to helping people with severe or enduring mental ill-health back on the road to recovery. These are for adults aged 18 to 64. Speak to your GP about being referred to these services. SABP also provides specialist support on matters such as eating disorders and perinatal care.

SUN (Service User Network) is a new, easy to access community-based service for adults experiencing difficulties with complex emotions often associated with personality disorder. These emotions can affect how a person feels, coping with life and managing relationships.

Drug and alcohol misuse

Catalyst is a not for profit organisation who work in partnership with many organisations on providing support to people with mental health problems. They run a drug and alcohol service for people in Surrey who want help with their problematic drug use and / or are dependent on alcohol and want to stop. They provide counselling for individuals and loved ones affected by substance or alcohol use.

Support for veterans

Ex-military service personnel can also access a range of specialist support tailored to their needs. Surrey and Borders Partnership NHS Foundation Trust is a Veteran Aware trust and can help signpost to the most appropriate service.

Support for young people

Surrey has a huge range of support available to support children and young people's mental health and emotional wellbeing. Healthy Surrey provides more information and links.

Support for people with dementia

If you, or someone you know is becoming increasingly forgetful please visit your GP. It could be a sign of dementia.

Dementia Connect, Alzheimer's Society's dementia support service provides people affected by dementia with the personalised support they need, when they need it, by phone, online and face to face. The service operates at a local and national level, connecting people with support in their community, while offering phone and online help seven days a week.

Please also visit support for people with dementia.

Support for carers

Looking after someone who has a mental health issue can be challenging and can have significant emotional impact on you. Support is available from Action for Carers who can help you understand more about the condition your loved one is experiencing and offer you practical advice and access to support groups. You can also view our Support for carers page.

When Adult Social Care can help

Adult Social Care supports people with mental health needs when it affects their daily life. Your GP may refer you to SABP for appropriate support and you may be supported by both services at some points in your recovery to ensure your needs are met and that you are able to live life to the full and do things that matter to you.

Will I have to pay?

Most mental health services are provided free by the NHS.

Additionally, some people who have been kept in hospital under the Mental Health Act can get free help and support after they leave hospital. The law that gives this right is section 117 of the Mental Health Act, and it is often referred to as 'section 117 aftercare'. These arrangements will be discussed with you when you are being discharged from hospital.

However, social care support, and what you pay towards it, is determined by what your needs are, how much money you have, and what level and type of care and support you require.

To find out more, read How social care can help.

There is also a wide range of support available where you live in your local community. You can find local groups and networks on Surrey Information Point.

Already receiving support?

You may be receiving support from one or several organisations locally. Please keep your contact details of your professionals supporting you and know who to get in touch with if your mental health deteriorates.

In this section