The Standing Advisory Council on Religious Education (SACRE) exists to:
- determine religious education content in Surrey maintained schools by producing a locally agreed syllabus and reviewing it every five year
- advise on matters of collective worship in county schools and religious education in line with the agreed syllabus. This includes methods of teaching, choice of materials and training for teachers
- assist with any complaint about religious education or collective worship in schools
- publish an annual report on any action SACRE has taken and any advice it has given.
SACRE can consider requests from schools (made by the headteacher following consultation with the governing body) to allow some or all pupils to take part in collective worship that is not wholly or broadly Christian.
SACRE is made up of four groups representing:
- the Church of England
- Christian denominations other than the Church of England and other faith groups representing the main religious traditions of the area
- teachers associations
- Surrey County Council.
SACRE can co-opt relevant other members, for example, a representative from another interested group or a religious educational specialist.
Schools can access a copy of the Agreed Syllabus for Religious Education
Please read the Introduction carefully as this contains all the legal statutory requirements. Schools should also read the introductory pages for each relevant key stage as these contain further details of these requirements.
Files available to download
- January 2016 SACRE meeting minutes (424.3 KB)
SACRE meeting minutes for January 2016
- March 2016 SACRE meeting minutes (207.2 KB)
SACRE meeting minutes for March 2016
- June 2016 SACRE meeting minutes (413.8 KB)
SACRE meeting minutes for June 2016
- October 2016 SACRE meeting minutes (316.9 KB)
SACRE meeting minutes for October 2016
- December 2016 SACRE meeting minutes (140.4 KB)
SACRE meeting minutes for December 2016
- 2016 SACRE constitution (491.0 KB)