Special schools and those educational settings with pupils with special educational needs (SEN) who require additional support costing £6,000 or more are entitled to additional 'top up' funding. This page gives details of applicable charges to education authorities for out of county pupils placed in Surrey special schools and centres and those receiving SEN support in mainstream schools.
Additional support in mainstream schools is converted to Surrey points. The first £6,000 will be deducted from mainstream support charges per year so long as the child is not placed in the SEN centre of a mainstream school (where place funding applies).
Details of the SEN top up charges for 2019/20
The SEN points value for Surrey mainstream schools in 2019/20 is £484.86
The points value for additional support in special schools (ie over and above the banded top up) is £593.66 in 2019/20. Both rates are unchanged from 2018/19.
- Special schools per pupil SEN top up funding matrix for 2019/20 is available upon request from firstname.lastname@example.org
- SEN centre per pupil top up funding rates 2019/20 are available upon request from email@example.com
Details of the SEN top up charges for 2018/19
The SEN points value for Surrey mainstream schools in 2018/19 is £484.86
The points value for additional support in special schools, (that is, over and above the banded top up) is £593.66 in 2018/19
Details of the SEN top up charges for 2017/18
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request the information relating to 2017 and 2018
- We will normally charge for speech and language therapy where (as for most schools) this is funded centrally and not included within the top ups.
- The basis of these charges can be found on Schools Budget pages for the relevant year.
Files available to download
- Special school SEN top up rates 2017-18 Summer 2017 term (PDF)
SEN Top up charges for Summer 2017 term
- Special school SEN top up rates 2017-18 Autumn 2017 term onwards (PDF)
SEN top charges Autumn 2017 and Spring 2018 terms
- Summary of SEN centre 2017-18 per pupil top ups (PDF)
SEN Centre top up charges 2017/18