Our school budget section explains how Surrey schools are funded.
There are financial procedures schools must follow in managing the budgets we delegate to them. These following guidelines explain them and provide wider financial management advice for schools.
- The Surrey scheme for financing schools 2020 (PDF)
- The Surrey List of Schools covered Scheme for financing schools 2020 Annex A (PDF)
- The Surrey scheme for financing schools 2019 – annex B (PDF) – responsibilities of schools and the council for building maintenance
- The Surrey scheme for financing schools 2019 – annexes C-G (PDF)
- Scheme update index 2019
Previous versions are available by contacting the schools funding team.
Financial guidance for school confederations and partnerships (including 11-19/14-19 networks)
Where schools that receive funds individually directly from us, form a partnership or confederation there are guidelines (PDF) they need to adhere to. There are different guidelines for partnerships of local educational establishments focusing on education of 11-19/14-19 year olds (PDF), parts of which are mandatory.
Files available to download
- Scheme for Financing Schools - September 2020 (PDF)
The funding framework is based on the legislative provisions in sections 45-53 of the School Standards and Framework Act 1998.
- The Surrey scheme for financing schools 2020 Annex A - 27 May 2020 (PDF)
At 1 May 2020 the schools listed in this document were Maintained by Surrey County Council (and thus covered by the scheme).
- Annex B as at 24 June 2019 (PDF)
Responsibilities of schools and the council for school building maintenance.
- Annexes C to G as at 24 June 2019 (PDF)
Annex C deleted, Annex D procurement, Annex E the operation of local bank accounts, Annex F licensed deficit, Annex G premature retirement and redundancy costs.
- Scheme update index as at 24 June 2019 (PDF)
Index showing date on which each section of the Surrey Scheme for Financing Schools was last updated.
- Financial guidance for school confederations and partnerships (PDF)
This guidance sets out Surrey’s financial management expectations for confederations/partnerships of schools. Separate guidance applies to 11-19/14-19 networks.
- Guidelines for partnerships of local educational establishments focusing on education of 11-19/14-19 year olds (PDF)
Financial and management requirements and guidance for 11-19/14-19 networks.