Useful DfE/ESFA school finance sites
DfE data on school budgets, expenditure and pupil characteristics
Each year the DfE/ESFA publishes a range of information on school budgets, school expenditure, pupil numbers and other characteristics. Schools may find the following links useful. The tables cover all maintained schools in England, however you can filter on Surrey schools only.
- School level expenditure (maintained schools only) - Go to the Workforce and Finance section at the bottom of the page and choose either grouped data or full dataset as required
- School level surplus balances - Select 'LA and school expenditure 2018 to 2019: Main tables' in Excel format and the tab for table 12 within the workbook (This does not include academies)
- Schools financial benchmarking site
- School level budgets for mainstream schools (including academies) - Note that these tables include formula funding and minimum funding guarantee/ceiling only, not other funding allocated by the local authority. Previous years' data is also available on the DfE site
- Pupil (including school and grant at local authority level) premium allocations and conditions of grant for 2019/20 Includes school level pupil premium allocations and conditions of grant at Local Authority level but not school level
- Pupil premium allocations and conditions of grant for 2019/20
- Pupil number and characteristics data from the Jan School Census
- Data collection and statistical returns - Current DfE data collection guides
The links are correct at the date of publication, but please let us know if you find any of them no longer working.