Meeting the needs of pupils with autism spectrum disorders
Mainstream schools can ask for support from our specialist teaching teams on how to meet the needs of pupils with autism spectrum disorders (ASD). Support available includes:
- awareness raising for staff on ASD related issues
- staff training on inclusion of pupils with ASD in mainstream classes
- advice on early intervention and support strategies
- consultations, around individual children, with schools and parents
- advice on other agencies and support services.
Special schools outreach teams
Some special schools provide an outreach service to support children with ASD. Schools can access this service on behalf of parents.