Early Years - improving extra support for children with special educational needs and disabilities
Our early years criteria (PDF) explains the decisions that inform how and what help is provided to those needing extra support, beyond that usually provided through early years action plus.
Early years funding (PDF) outlines the funding situation for children with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND) in early years settings and how funding decisions are made.
We provide guidance (PDF) on how to apply for extra support for a child in an early years setting. The following forms are for use in any referral:
- information/evidence checklist for early years panel (DOC)
- foundation stage – request for consideration of initiation of statutory assessment (appendix B form from SEND handbook) (DOC)
- evidence to support referral to local authority early years panel (DOC)
- early years setting – progress report SEND review meeting (DOC)
- behaviour management plan (DOC)
- child's views about being at nursery. (DOC)