Information for Designated Safeguarding Leads
Designated Safeguarding Leads (DSLs) take the lead role in safeguarding and child protection in their setting. They provide advice and support to staff about safeguarding issues and are the first point of contact where staff have concerns about a child. Their role is vital in creating and promoting a culture of safeguarding, vigilance and safer recruitment.
Further information about the role of the DSL can be found in Annexe B of Keeping Children Safe in Education 2020.
DSLs should refer to the Department of Education's safeguarding children information for schools, colleges and children's services which contains details of all statutory safeguarding policies, and the policies and procedures page of this website.
Additional guidance can be found below:
- Surrey Safeguarding Children Partnership Procedures Manual
- Surrey Safeguarding Children Partnership Levels of Need - Support for professionals to ensure that children and young people get the right response from the right service at the time they need it. The document sets out what happens at each level of need and the thresholds for different levels of support.
On appointment to post all DSLs must complete:
- Foundation modules 1 and 2 available through Surrey Safeguarding Children Partnership (SSCP)
- DSL New to role training - this is available to book onto through the Schools Portal and is delivered by the Education Safeguarding Team
DSLs must complete an update training every two years. Completion of the new to role training allows DSLs to deliver Working Together to Safeguard Children Training and other awareness raising training in their setting. Please contact the Education Safeguarding Team to receive the phase specific training materials for Working Together to Safeguard Children for Education Staff.
For further details of the train the trainer course or to discuss your training needs please contact the Surrey Workforce Academy Training Team.
Templates for children protection and safeguarding record keeping can be found below.
Files available to download
- Expression of concern form (MS Word)
Template for school or college safeguarding and child protection concern recording
- Child protection file front sheet (MS Word)
Template front sheet for school or college child protection file
- Child protection file chronology (MS Word)
Template chronology record for a school or college child protection file
- Child protection meeting minutes (MS Word)
Template for recording minutes of school or college child protection meetings