Alternative learning for those with additional educational needs
Some children in Surrey, particularly those at risk of exclusion and those missing out on education, may need extra support from us. We can provide this through these alternative learning services.
Access to education (A2E)
Access to Education (A2E) provides a flexible short-term service for children/young people who through exceptional circumstances cannot attend school including medical reasons and permanent exclusions.
A2E offers a service made up of teaching, emotional, behavioural and social development work, mentoring and access to a virtual learning environment.
Referrals to A2E can come from the following:
- The Schools Admission Team
- The Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND) Team
- The Area Case Review and Area Action Group (ACRAG)
All students within A2E have access to the Virtual Learning Environment (VLE) online resources and communication tools in a safe online environment.
Surrey Online School
Surrey Online School (SOS) provides a mix of education technology including live online lessons to a range of pupils across the county. It aims to make the best teaching available to all students in Surrey, irrespective of background or location.
SOS provide these lessons to a wide range of pupils including those who are:
- out of school due to medical needs,
- within Surrey's existing alternative provision services including Access to Education (A2E), Special Educational Needs (SEN), Looked after Children (LAC),
- school refusers and
- increasingly those at risk of permanent exclusion.
Referral to this service can only be made by a school or organisation. To find out more, please visit: surreyonlineschool.co.uk