Advice for parents and carers during bad weather
In the event of bad weather, the driver of the vehicle needs to consider whether it is safe to carry out the whole route or part of the route.
Travel by taxi or minibus
- If the decision is made to cancel or alter a route it is the driver's responsibility to inform the individual parent or carer of this intention.
- Parents or carers are advised to make sure their driver has their contact details.
- If parents or carers are unsure if their route is running, please contact their transport operator directly.
Travel by school coach
- If the decision is made to cancel or alter a route, the coach company informs the school and the Transport Coordination Team.
- If parents or carers wish to find out if their coach route is running, they can check with their child's school or contact the coach company directly.
Travel by public bus, including school buses
- In the event of bad weather, parents or carers are advised to contact the bus operator directly or visit their website to find out if their service is running.
- If pupils live on a minor road, parents or carers should advise them to wait on a main road for a bus as buses may not be able to travel down minor roads that have not been cleared or gritted.
- For public buses, please also see the Bus service disruption due to bad weather page.
Travel by train
- In the event of bad weather, parents or carers are advised to contact National Rail Enquires to find out about disruptions to services. Their telephone number is 08457 484950 or visit the National Rail website.