Skip to main content

Help with the cost of travelling to school or college

Most students aged 16-19 will be expected to take advantage of either the 16-17 Saver card or Surrey's Student Fare Card (for reduced rate bus and/or rail travel) when they travel to school sixth forms and colleges.

In addition, students aged 16 to 19 years old attending school or college may be able to get help with their travel expenses if the shortest walking distance is over three miles from the student's house and the course they are attending is not available at a nearer school or college, and:

  1. they are in receipt of the 16 to 19 vulnerable student bursary, or
  2. their families are in receipt of the maximum Working Tax Credit, or
  3. they meet the eligibility criteria for free school meals, or
  4. they are unable to use the Student Fare Card because their sixth form or college is not on a public transport route for which the Student Fare Card applies, or if they cannot reasonably access such a route from their home address, or
  5. they have a disability and/or have learning difficulties and/or are medically ill and will incur extra transport costs to travel to school/college as a result of that disability or condition. If they have an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP), see the information on SEND Transport after 16 instead.

See our: Application form and policy for assistance with travel expenses for 16-19 year olds – 2019-2020 (PDF) for details of the support that might be available.

You may also want to contact your college or sixth form directly to find out if they have bursary schemes to help with expenses.

The council is currently reviewing its home to school / college travel and transport policy. Please see the consultation for details of the proposals and how to respond.

Return to top

How to apply

If you think you are eligible, please complete our: Application form and policy for assistance with travel expenses for 16-19 year olds – 2019-2020 (PDF).

Return to top

Successful applications

You cannot choose the type of transport assistance you will receive. Students will be expected to travel by the cheapest form of transport so the county council can provide the most cost-effective service. The forms of transport assistance available are:

  • Seat on a contract vehicle (coach, mini bus or taxi)
  • Reimbursements for petrol or public transport

Whatever form of transport you are allocated, you will have to make a financial contribution. We will tell you what this will be.

If we allocate you reimbursement, we will send you a claim form and details of what can be claimed. At the end of each term, you must complete and return a claim form, together with tickets and receipts (we cannot reimburse you for lost tickets or receipts).

If you require additional forms email:

Full details of contributions and reimbursements are in the: Application form and policy for assistance with travel expenses for 16-19 year olds – 2019-2020 (PDF).

Return to top

Unsuccessful applicants

If you are not eligible, you may be able to apply for Surrey student fare card or you may be able to purchase a concessionary seat on existing transport for your journey, if a spare seat is available. You may also want to ask your college or sixth form for details of any bursary schemes they may have to help with expenses.

You can request a review of our decision if any of the following apply:

  • you have exceptional circumstances which you believe mean that you should be provided with assistance with travel expenses outside of policy.
  • you believe that the initial transport assessment was incorrect.
  • you have been refused transport assistance because the shortest walking route is under three miles but you believe the walking route to be unsafe. Any transport that has been agreed on the basis of an unsafe route will be withdrawn if measures are subsequently introduced to make the route safe.

To request a review, complete a Transport Case Review Form (PDF)

Files available to download