Skip to main content

Help with the cost of travelling to school or college

The majority of students aged 16-19 will be expected to take advantage of the Surrey Student Fare Card for reduced rate bus and/or rail travel to school sixth forms and colleges.

In addition, students aged 16 to 19 years old attending school or college may be able to get help with their travel expenses. Our Home to School/College Transport Application and Policy document (PDF) for Surrey students of sixth form age 2018-2019 explains the support that might be available to students:

  • Who are in receipt of the 16 to 19 vulnerable student bursary.
  • Whose families are in receipt of the maximum Working Tax Credit or who meet the eligibility criteria for Free School Meals.
  • Who are unable to use the Student Fare Card because their sixth form or college is not on a public transport route for which the Student Fare Card applies or if they cannot reasonably access such a route from their home address.
  • Who have a disability and/or have learning difficulties and/or who are medically ill and who will incur extra transport costs to travel to school/college as a result of that disability or condition.

If you think you are eligible, please complete our: Application and policy for assistance with travel expenses for 16 - 19 year olds – 2018-2019 (PDF) and return it to:

Admissions and Transport Team
Quadrant Court
35 Guildford Road
GU22 7QQ

Successful applicants

Students cannot choose the type of transport assistance they will receive. They will be expected to travel by the cheapest form of transport so the County Council can provide the most cost-effective service. The forms of transport assistance available are:

  • Seat on a contract vehicle (coach, mini bus or taxi)
  • Reimbursements

Whatever form of transport you are allocated, you will have to make a financial contribution as set out in the policy. You will also be informed of the current rate of your student contribution by the Admissions and Transport team.

Full details of petrol or public transport reimbursements can also be found in our: Home to School/College Transport Policy for Surrey students of sixth form age 2018-2019 (PDF)

Where the team agrees in writing to provide reimbursement, you will receive a claim form and details of what can be claimed. One claim form should be completed every term and returned with tickets purchased to our: Transport Co-ordination Centre, Surrey County Council, Room 365A, County Hall, Penrhyn Road, Kingston upon Thames, KT1 2DY.

If you require additional forms email the team as follows:

Please note we cannot reimburse you for lost tickets or receipts.

Unsuccessful applicants

You can complete a Transport Case Review Form (PDF) if you have been refused transport assistance under Surrey County Council's Transport Policy, and you either believe:

  • that you have exceptional circumstances which will affect your journey to school / college
  • that the initial transport assessment was incorrect
  • that the walking route is unsafe.

Any transport that has been agreed on the basis of an unsafe route will be withdrawn if measures are subsequently introduced to make the route safe.

Please return your completed form to: Admissions and Transport Team, Quadrant Court, 35 Guildford Road, Woking, Surrey, GU22 7QQ.

Please note, if you are not eligible you may be able to apply for a concessionary seat for your journey.

Other financial assistance

You may also want to contact your college or sixth form for details of bursary schemes, which they may have to help with expenses.

If you have an Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP), please see the information on SEND Transport after 16.

Files available to download