Skip to main content

The in year admissions process

If you need a school place for a child who is moving into Surrey or because of a house move within Surrey where your child cannot continue at their existing school, you will need to make an in year application for a new school.

Other transfers between schools

If your child is already at school but you feel a move would be beneficial, you must discuss the reasons with your child's current school and try to resolve matters with them rather than seek a transfer.

We discourage unnecessary transfers. If you do want to pursue this route, you will need to make an in year application for a new school, provide your reasons for wanting a transfer and list what you have done to try and resolve the issues with the current school. You must ask the headteacher at your child's school to complete a section of the application form; we will not process the form without this.

In considering your application, we will assess – and may need to discuss with you and the school - whether it might be better for you to resolve any difficulties your child is having, with the school. We may also seek views from any other services involved with your child – for example, the behaviour support and/or education welfare service.

You should not withdraw your child from their current school until you have secured an alternative school place.

A school cannot ask you to withdraw your child from school or withdraw your child from the school roll without your permission or without first knowing that your child has a new school place. However, where a school believes a change of school may be in your child's best interests, the headteacher can discuss arranging a managed move to another school or a referral to alternative education provision, with you.

Please think carefully before applying, bearing in mind that other schools may be full and the upheaval may damage your child's progress.

You must have a place at a new school for your child before he or she leaves his or her current school.

Transfers from home education or alternative education provision

If your child is being educated at home and you would like them to attend a mainstream school in future, you will need to make an in year application for a school. We may need to manage the application in line with our Fair Access Protocols. We may also need to check with any services supporting your child, that a mainstream school is suitable.

Applications for schools outside Surrey

If you want to apply for a school outside Surrey you will need to contact the relevant local authority to find out how you apply.

Applications for children from abroad

Please see applications for children from abroad, for further information.

Applications for admission outside of a child's age group

If you would like your child to be educated outside their normal age group the admission authority for each school will consider your request according to your child's circumstances and what is in their best interests. You must state clearly why you feel admission to a different year group is in your child's best interest and provide, if you wish, evidence to support this. Parents are advised to contact the local authority at the earliest opportunity for advice. Please also see Surrey's guidance (pdf) on the education of children out of their chronological year group.

Applications for children in care

Children in care receive top priority for a school place. If an in year admission is needed, we will arrange a place at the school most appropriate to the child's needs, in line with our Protocol for the processing of in year admissions for children in care.

Children with special educational needs or disability

We treat applications for children with disabilities or special educational needs in the same way as all other applications, unless they have an Education, Health and Care Plan.

If your child has an Education, Health and Care Plan and you want them to change school, you must liaise with your child's case officer.

Free school meals

You should apply to your child's school for these. Advice on entitlement to free school meals and milk is available from

Transport to school

Think about how your child will get to school and if they might qualify for free home to school transport.