Skip to main content

Applications for an in year school place for children from abroad

Children who live abroad

If you and/or your child live abroad you may apply for an in year school place, up to four weeks before the place is needed, only if your child:

  • holds a full British Citizen passport (but not British Dependent Territories or British Overseas passports) or
  • is an EEA national (all member states of the European Union together with Iceland, Norway and Liechtenstein) or
  • is a Swiss national (with the same right to live and work in the United Kingdom as other EEA nationals) or
  • has a passport which has been endorsed to show that they have the right of abode in the United Kingdom.

You must provide evidence that your child is arriving in the United Kingdom within four weeks of the application (usually a copy of your child's flight ticket) and provide a copy of your child's passport to confirm that your child has no restrictions on entry to the United Kingdom.

You must also confirm, with your application, where your child will be living and when they intend to return. We will initially consider your application according to your child's address abroad and any subsequent change of address will be considered once the move has taken place.

If an offer is made on the basis of an anticipated move to the United Kingdom, it will be on the condition that the child will be available to take up the place on the date previously specified by the parent.

For other children without automatic entry to the United Kingdom, an application can only be made once a child has arrived in the country.

For more information please read our guidance on admission of children overseas.

Children from abroad already living in the United Kingdom

Legally all parents living in the United Kingdom, other than for a short period of time, must make sure their children receive education. Once in the United Kingdom, most children will be provided with a school place on request. Applicants will need to provide a copy of the child's passport to confirm immigration status and date of arrival in the United Kingdom.

However, unaccompanied children of compulsory school age without right of residence in the United Kingdom whose entry has been agreed so they can receive education cannot take up places at state funded schools. It will be a condition of their entry that they take up a place at an independent or private educational establishment.  

Children who are temporarily visiting the United Kingdom

Children who do not have the right of abode in the United Kingdom and who have arrived as a child visitor, with or without their families, are not entitled to a state education and will not normally be provided with a school place.

In other cases where children do have the right of abode, a school place will normally only be provided where it is expected that the child will remain in the United Kingdom for three months or more.

In all cases it is the responsibility of the parent to ensure they are not contravening the conditions of any visa or United Kingdom immigration law if they take up a school place for their child.

Applications from members of the Armed Forces and Crown Servants

Members of the Armed Forces and Crown Servants with automatic right of entry to the UK who are able to provide evidence of their relocation may apply for a school place ahead of a move. An application can be made up to four calendar months ahead of a relocation.

For Armed Forces applications we will use the unit posting address when considering the application. For Crown Servants a United Kingdom address can only be used if there is evidence of the address the child is returning to.   

There is no guarantee that a place will be available at a preferred school; each application will be considered in line with the school's admissions criteria.