There are things you can do to reduce the risk of your child playing truant:
- Encourage regular school attendance.
- Make sure they have the right uniform, PE kit, school bag, pencil case, books etc.
- Attend parents' evenings and academic tutoring sessions.
- Discuss their day with them.
- Contact the school if your child is worried about something, causing reluctance to go to school.
- Know the name of your child's class or form teacher and head of year/house (secondary school).
- Let the school know the reason(s) for any absence and a likely return date, on the first day of the absence and update the school daily.
- Make medical/dental appointments out of school time, whenever possible.
- Do not take holidays during term time.