Skip to main content

Applying for a school place for a child with EHCP or a SSEN

Please note: If your child does not have an education health and care plan (EHCP), even if they are being assessed for special educational needs or an EHCP, you should apply for a school place via our mainstream admissions page.

Most children with an Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP), can be taught in mainstream schools. However, if your child has more complex needs it may have been agreed that they require a place at a special school or school with a special centre.

When to apply

Please note: These dates apply for those children who have an EHCP. If your child does not currently have an EHCP, even if they are under assessment, you should apply between the dates outlined on our mainstream admissions page.


Date of birthApplyStart from
1 September 2013 - 31 August 20141 September 2017 - 15 January 2018September 2018
1 September 2014 - 31 August 2015June 2018 - 30 September 2018September 2019
1 September 2015 - 31 August 2016June 2019 - 30 September 2020September 2020

Junior school

Date of birthApplyStart from
1 September 2010 - 31 August 20111 September 2017 - 31 October 2017September 2018
1 September 2011 - 31 August 2012June 2018 - 30 September 2018September 2019
1 September 2012 - 31 August 2013June 2019 - 30 September 2019September 2020

Secondary school

Date of birthApply Start from
1 September 2006 - 31 August 2007 1 September 2017 - 31 October 2017 September 2018
1 September 2007 - 31 August 2008 June 2018 - 30 September 2018 September 2019
1 September 2008 - 31 August 2009 June 2019 - 30 September 2019

September 2020


Date of birthApply Start from
1 September 2001 - 31 August 2002 1 September 2017 - 31 October 2017 September 2018
1 September 2002 - 31 August 2003 June 2018 - 30 September 2018 September 2019
1 September 2003 - 31 August 2004 June 2019 - 30 September 2019 September 2020

Return to top

Before applying

Please read our SEND Admissions guidance booklet for further information on the application process for reception, junior and secondary school, or the SEND Post-16 Admissions Guidance.

Other important sources of information include:


You can discuss your child's needs with their current educational provision (nursery school etc), their SEND case worker and any other professionals involved in their case.

If your child has an EHCP by 30 September in the year before they start school then you should apply using the SEN School Admissions online form below.

If your child does not have an EHCP by the 30 September then you should apply through the mainstream process. If your child receives an EHCP after 30 September then their reception placement will be considered as part of the process for issuing the EHCP.

Junior or secondary school

You can discuss your child's needs with the Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO) at your child's current school at their progress meetings, and then again at the annual review of their EHCP. This is usually during the summer term of Year 1 (junior applicants) or Year 5 (secondary applicants).

All children should follow this process even if they are at an all through school. It is important that we give everyone an opportunity to change schools should they wish to do so. If you would like your child to continue at their current school you should put this as your first preference. Providing the school continues to be suitable for their needs and is efficient use of resources for the Local Authority, your child will be prioritised to remain at the school.


There are lots of different options available after Year 11, you can find information about these on our 'When your child with SEND leaves school' page.

You should complete the form below to let us know what you would like to do after Year 11. If you are considering going to college, then you will also need to apply directly to them as each college has their own admissions process.

Return to top

Applying for a school place

Apply online

You can apply online if your child has an EHCP which is maintained by Surrey County Council.

For information on how to complete the form and how places are allocated, please read the School Admissions guidance for children with an Education, Health & Care Plan (EHCP) (PDF) or the SEND Post 16 Admissions Guidance (PDF).

Return to top


If you disagree with the school placement given to your child and named in your child's final EHCP, you have the right of appeal to the SEND tribunal. Details of this process will be provided to you with the school place offer and you can then contact your case worker for further information and advice on this process.

We will first advise you on how to contact the mediation service in order to try to resolve the situation without the need for a tribunal.

Please note the decision of the SEND tribunal is final and binding upon the authority, the parents and the school. Further appeals within the same academic year can only be considered on a point of law and not on the decision of the tribunal.

Applying after the closing date

If you have a child with an EHCP, you should contact your case worker or relevant area office if any of the following apply:

- you are applying after the closing date

- you are applying for an in-year admission, or

- you are moving to Surrey.

Area offices

South West Area Office covers Guildford and Waverley Telephone: 01483 517890 or email:

North West Area Office covers Woking, Runnymede and Surrey Heath Telephone: 01483 518110 or email:

South East Area Office covers Mole Valley, Tandridge, and Reigate and Banstead Telephone: 01737 737990 or email:

North East Area Office covers Spelthorne, Elmbridge, and Epsom and Ewell Telephone: 01737 737940 or email:

Moving into Surrey

When you move, your child's EHCP (along with all other documents relevant to your child's SEND, for example your child's individual education plan) will be transferred to us from the local education authority where you live. We then become responsible for making sure your child receives the support outlined in the EHCP. We will have six weeks to decide whether to review the EHCP and/or make any new assessment. It may be that the move means your child is now too far away from the school named in the EHCP to attend it and we will need to name a new school, but we may need your child to go to a school of our choice temporarily, to allow enough time for you to visit schools and discuss your options.

We will always consult with you over changes to your child's EHCP and you can express a preference for a school.

Files available to download