Home education for children with special educational needs

The same procedure applies if your child has an education, health and care plan and attends a mainstream school. If your child attends a special school, the agreement of the local authority should be sought before removing him/her from school.

This is not intended to hinder you from home educating your child, but to ensure continuity of education.

Your child's name cannot be removed from the special school register without the local authority's agreement.

In either case, the education provided must meet the objectives of the statement of special education need.

For the duration of the education, health and care plan, the local authority will continue to hold an annual review, this includes considering whether the wording of the plan is still appropriate and whether the plan needs to remain in place.

The rights of appeal to a SEN Tribunal still apply.

Please see Special Educational Needs for more information.

In this section

  • Updated: 10 Dec 2014