We support staff from Ofsted registered settings in Surrey with training.
If you're an early years practitioner or playworker, please make sure you've completed a practitioner personal profile (PPP) before booking training (this doesn't apply to home-based childcarers).
Training in the autumn term
- Hear Our Voices - English as an additional language (early years) training
- SENCO new to role and refresher training
- Safeguarding training for new practitioners
- Safeguarding refresher training
- Designated Safeguarding Lead - combined new to role and refresher training
Hear Our Voices - English as an additional language (early years) training
Do you work with children who have English as an additional language? If so then come along to Hear Our Voices training for private, voluntary and independent nurseries and pre-school settings. This training is run by Surrey's Race Equality and Minority Achievement (REMA) Team.
- welcoming new bilingual children and families
- the importance of using first language
- building positive relationships with parents
- developing strategies, activities and resources for promoting communication and language.
Book your place. The cost is £25 per delegate so have your debit or credit card handy. Each setting is invited to send up to two members of staff.
SENCO new to role and refresher training
This free two day workshop is for new special educational needs coordinators (SENCO) and SENCOs that need to update their knowledge. It's suitable for SENCOs working in early years settings.
- Day one: Early identification and intervention, focuses on observations, assessment tools, working with parents and interventions, including how to write an Individual Support Plan (ISP).
- Day two: SEND processes, focuses on specific processes within Surrey to implement a graduated response. This includes, reviewing ISPs, inclusion fund and discretionary funding processes and applying for an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) assessment.
There are two workshops, you can choose to go on either but you must commit to attending both days of your chosen workshop.
East Surrey workshop
- Dates: Monday 6 November and Monday 20 November
- Times: 9.30am to 3.30pm
- Venue: Molesey Youth Centre, Ray Road, Molesey KT8 2LG.
West Surrey workshop
- Dates: Monday 13 November and Wednesday 29 November
- Times: 9.30am to 3.30pm
- Venue: Ash Youth Centre, Ash Hill Road, Ash GU12 5DN.
Book your free place by emailing your name, setting name, chosen training dates and venue to sectorNW@surreycc.gov.uk or sectorNE@surreycc.gov.uk with the subject heading SENCO training.
Safeguarding training for new practitioners
It's the designated safeguarding lead's responsibility to make sure that all staff in their setting are up to date with their knowledge and awareness of safeguarding children and young people.
New staff can complete the Surrey Safeguarding Children Board's Working Together to Safeguard Children e-learning course as part of their induction. You'll need to complete safeguarding refresher training every three years.
Childminders will complete safeguarding training as part of their Childminding Introduction Programme. You'll need to complete safeguarding refresher training every three years.
Safeguarding refresher training for childcare professionals
This is a three hour refresher workshop for existing childcare professionals and Ofsted registered home-based childcarers. It aims to give you the opportunity to develop your awareness and update your knowledge of what to do if you have concerns about the safety and welfare of children and young people.
- recognise abuse and understand the impact of abuse
- understand guidance and law relating to safeguarding children and what has changed
- identify what children and young people want and need to feel safe
- understand what multi-agency working means
- know what individuals need to do about reporting concerns, including other colleagues
- understand the importance of safe working practice.
Book your place. There is a £25 charge for this workshop, so remember to have your debit/credit card handy.
Please note, you need to update your safeguarding training every three years by attending a refresher.
Designated Safeguarding Lead - combined new to role and refresher training
This one day workshop is aimed at those new to the role of designated safeguarding lead (DSL) or if you're in need of updating your DSL knowledge on child protection and safeguarding issues.
- the role and responsibilities of the DSL including sharing training with all setting staff
- policies, procedures and legislation and what has changed
- reporting concerns, whistle blowing and safe working practice
- dealing with allegations against staff and the role of the local authority designated officer (LADO)
- child protection plans and core groups.
DSLs must have completed the Surrey Safeguarding Children Board (SSCB) Working Together to Safeguard Children e-learning course. And if not already done so must attend or be booked on to the SSCB Multi-Agency Core Training, Foundation Modules 1 and 2.
Book your place. There is a £50 charge for this workshop, so remember to have your debit/credit card handy.
- This workshop is not open to you if you work in a local education authority school.
- You need to update your DSL training every two years, by attending a Designated Safeguarding Lead workshop.
Files available to download
- Learning Agreement (179.5 KB)
This Learning Agreement applies to practitioners going on training