The Workforce Development Fund from Surrey Early Years and Childcare Service supports the continuing professional development of childcare professionals by providing funding towards qualifications.
You can download the documents you need to apply at the bottom of this page. We cannot guarantee funding and recommend you explore all other sources before applying, such as Student finance and 24+ Advance Learning Loans.
- Why do we have a Workforce Development Fund?
- Which settings can apply?
- Who makes the application?
- When to apply
- How to apply
Why do we have a Workforce Development Fund?
To raise the quality of childcare, playwork and early education in Surrey by creating and supporting a world class, graduate led children's workforce, and by supporting the professional development needs of individuals.
See our Workforce Development Fund guidance for our priorities for funding.
Which settings can apply?
- Playwork, early education and childcare group settings that are Ofsted registered and within the boundaries of Surrey County Council.
- All registered home-based childcarers living and working within the boundaries of Surrey County Council.
- Some out of school settings (breakfast club, after school club, holiday playscheme) run directly by a school for at least one child, for a period of more than two hours, for 15 or more days a year, and within the boundaries of Surrey County Council.
- Nursery units of independent schools and school run playgroups who are exempt from registration with Ofsted but who are in receipt of Free Early Education, and within the boundaries of Surrey County Council.
Settings within the maintained sector are not able to apply.
Who makes the application?
- Onsite managers or training leads of group settings will apply on behalf of the staff team.
- Home-based childcarers will apply for themselves and, if applicable, on behalf of their assistants.
All staff named in an application must have filled in a Practitioner Personal Profile.
When to apply
|Application deadline||Funding panel meeting||Notification of decision||Award for courses starting|
|Wednesday 11 May 2016||Wednesday 8 June 2016||Within two weeks from panel meeting||1 April 2016 to 31 March 2017|
|Wednesday 10 August 2016||Tuesday 6 September 2016||Within two weeks from panel meeting||1 September 2016 to 31 March 2017|
We are unable to offer Workforce Development fund until further notice.
How to apply
You can download all of the documents you need for your application below. Unless you are applying for safeguarding, you need to complete a Staff Training and Development Plan (you can use our templates below or your own version) and use this to identify the training needs across your setting. You must send all documents by email to firstname.lastname@example.org as we are unable to accept paper copies.
Surrey Early Years and Childcare Service (EYCS) is committed to making sure you can access high quality training. So we ask training providers to sign an agreement and meet our requirements. All the training providers listed on the downloads (below) meet these requirements and are Surrey EYCS recognised training providers. If you apply for our Workforce Development Fund you will need to use one of these providers. The course research sheet will help you research qualifications and find a training provider that meets your needs.
We recommend that managers have a training agreement (Word) in place with staff applying for Workforce Development Funding. This is because if a member of staff doesn't finish their qualification, we may ask the setting to repay the amount of funding awarded.
If you need support or would like information and advice about qualification funding, please contact your workforce development advisor at email@example.com or call them on 01372 833900.
Files available to download
- Staff training and development plan template 2016-17 (791.5 KB)
For group settings and home-based childcarers with assistants
- Staff training and development plan guidance 2016-2017 (157.0 KB)
A guide to help you implement a staff training and development plan.
- Individual training and development plan template 2016-17 (707.0 KB)
For home-based childcarers
- Training and development plan guidance for individuals and HBCs 2016 (149.7 KB)
For individuals and home-based childcarers
- Course research sheet 2016-2017 (116.9 KB)
This guidance will help you research qualifications and ways to study
- Surrey recognised training providers 2016-17 (169.6 KB)
- Staff training and development policy (200.0 KB)
Guidance on creating a staff training and development policy from Surrey Early Years and Childcare Service