What is ESOL?
If English is not your main language you can take an ESOL course to help you improve. Our ESOL courses can:
- help you to learn to read and write and learn English for everyday life;
- help you prepare for your "Life in the UK Test" and British Citizenship;
- help you gain a recognised Language certificate;
- develop your English so that you can successfully live, work or study in the UK.
Courses cover all aspects of English such as speaking, listening, reading, writing, pronunciation, grammar and vocabulary.
Who is it for?
You can study ESOL if:
- you live and work in the UK and are planning to stay in the UK
- English is not your native language.
What levels are there?
Examples of things you learn in each level can be:
- Pre-Entry – Introducing yourself, basic communication and ask simple questions, reading and writing a few basic words.
- Entry 1 – talking to the doctor, making an appointment, filling in short forms, speak more confidently.
- Entry 2 – talk to a teacher at your child's school, talk about your weekend, read and write an email.
- Entry 3 – Discuss a problem, make a complaint, read and write a formal letter.
- Level 1 – Give opinions confidently, discuss complex ideas, fill in an application for a job, write a CV and cover letter.
How long is the course and much does it cost?
The fees for ESOL are subsidised by a grant from the Skills Funding Agency and are at £4 an hour. Not everyone will be eligible for these subsidised fees and we are required to confirm whether or not you qualify when you enrol.
You may also be eligible for a FREE course if you receive specific benefits. We can check this with you at your Information, Advice and Guidance session.
Courses usually run in the morning or early afternoon. Eg. Monday - Wednesday or Tuesday - Thursday, 10am – 12.30pm or 1pm – 3.30pm.
Evening classes are also available in Molesey.
There is an additional exam charge (between £10–£30 per exam).
How do I enrol?
Call our Customer Service Team on 0300 200 1044 to book your free advice and guidance session to test your level and speak to a tutor or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Thursday 12 April, 10:00am – 2:00pm
- Wednesday 19 April, 10:00am – 12:00pm
- Monday 9 April, 10:00am – 1:00pm
- Tuesday 10 April, 10:00am – 1:00pm
For more information call our Customer Service team on 0300 200 1044.