Skip to main content

Frequently asked questions - new tutors

What qualifications and experience do I need?

Minimum criteria:

  • UK-recognised teaching qualification (CELTA, City and Guilds Level 3 Award in Education and Teaching, PGCE, QTS status – qualification in subject for some areas)
  • Experience of teaching adults in a classroom environment
  • Experience of teaching your subject

What is the current rate of pay?

The hourly rate is £20.44 per hour for non-accredited/community learning tutors, and £24.52 per hour for tutors teaching accredited courses, plus 14% annual leave entitlement. This rate includes lesson preparation time and travelling time.

Where will I be working?

We hold courses in our seven adult learning centres in: Camberley, Farnham, Guildford, Woking, Molesey, Sunbury and Esher. The locations of these centres can be seen on our information page. Family Learning and Outreach courses are run across Surrey in schools and community centres. Not all centres have easy access to public transport.

What courses do you offer?

Please see our course directory for a full list of courses offered. Most courses are programmed to run during term times in the morning, afternoon and evening. We also run a small programme of Summer For You courses, as well as some Saturday workshops.

What size are the classes?

Class sizes are dictated by the accommodation available, and some courses are restricted to a small group eg; pottery throwing courses. We require a minimum of six learners for a course to be viable.

How much work can I expect to be given?

All of our tutors are employed on a zero hours (bank) contract. Courses range from one day (usually Saturday) "workshops", to courses of 1-3 hours duration over a term of up to 12 weeks. The amount of work you are offered will depend on the number and type of courses scheduled. Please note that in some cases courses might not be viable due to low enrolments, and may be cancelled.

What administration will I need to do in association with my course?

Tutors are expected to complete documentation relating to their courses eg; schemes of work, lesson plans and learner progress records.

How do I make a formal application?

View our adult learning job vacancies.