- Enrolment for ESOL classes
- Who are our classes for?
- Our courses
- Childcare support
- Additional information
Enrolment for ESOL classes
Applications for ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) courses are now open.
If you would like to apply for one of our ESOL courses, please complete the application below.
You must be able to attend our centres for your exams so it is recommended that you live within 30 to 40 minutes travel time from one of our Camberley, Guildford, Molesey or Sunbury centres. Please take a look at our full centre details, including parking and full addresses.
Please only complete this application form once. If you have a query about your application, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are interested in our English courses for Hongkongers please do not apply for an ESOL course. Visit our English Courses for Hongkongers page.
If you have recently arrived in the UK from Ukraine, please visit our English for Ukrainians page for additional information.
Who are our classes for?
ESOL classes at Surrey Adult Learning are free for adults aged 19 or over on the 31 August 2023 who meet the following eligibility criteria. You must also be able to easily travel to an agreed Surrey Adult Learning centre to sit exams/assessments where applicable.
UK nationals - Who currently live in England and have been resident in the United Kingdom (UK) for at least three full years prior to starting their course.
EEA nationals - Who currently live in England and have obtained either pre-settled or settled status under the EU settlement scheme and have lived continuously in the EEA, Gibraltar or UK for at least the three full years prior to starting their course.
Other non-UK Nationals who are also a non-EEA national - Who currently live in England and have obtained either pre-settled or settled status under the EU settlement scheme and have lived continuously in the EEA, Gibraltar or UK for at least the three full years prior to starting their course.
Asylum seekers - Who have lived in the UK for 6 months or longer while their claim is being considered by the Home Office.
You will be exempt from the three-year residency requirement if you have:
- Refugee status
- Discretionary leave to enter or remain
- Exceptional leave to enter or remain
- Indefinite leave to enter or remain
- Humanitarian protection
- Leave outside the rules
- Ukraine family scheme
- Ukraine sponsorship scheme (Homes for Ukraine)
- The husband, wife, civil partner or child (aged 19 or over) of an individual with any of the above
- Section 67 of the Immigration Act 2016 leave
- Calais leave to remain
- British Nationals evacuated from Afghanistan under operation pitting
- British Nationals evacuated from Afghanistan by UK government before 6 January 2022
Other exemptions may apply.
Depending upon your circumstances, we will need to see ID and proof of your immigration status, receipt of benefits and income when you enrol.
If you are not eligible for a free course under the above criteria, you may need to pay a fee. For more information and advice please email: email@example.com
We offer courses from Pre-Entry to Level 1.
- Pre-Entry: You will learn basic vocabulary to enable you to read words and phrases you see in everyday life. You will learn to write the English alphabet and write and spell some common words. You will learn to introduce yourself and respond to basic questions. From the Pre-entry level you will move on to Entry 1.
- Entry 1: You will learn to read a variety of short texts and recognise some common words. You will learn to write short sentences in English, fill in forms and spell some common words. You will start to become more confident in speaking. At the end of each unit in Entry 1, you will sit a short exam and if successful, you will progress to Entry 2.
- Entry 2: You will learn to read longer texts and be able to identify the purpose of various texts. You will start to use past and future tenses and will learn to write short letters and emails. You will be able to engage in short forms of social communication. From Entry 2, and upon completion of the unit exams, you will progress to Entry 3
- Entry 3: You will become familiar with past and present perfect tenses and be able to communicate more effectively. You will develop more advanced writing skills enabling you to use more formal vocabulary to write longer letters and emails. From Entry 3, and upon completion of the unit exams, you will progress to L1.
- Level 1 (L1): You will be able to communicate confidently, taking part in discussion and expressing your opinions and point of view. You will have a wider vocabulary and be able to spell a range of words accurately. You will be able to read and understand complex texts and comment on what you have read. From L1 and upon successful completion of the L1 exams, you can move on to a Functional Skills English course and then to GCSE.
At the end of each term you will take City and Guilds ESOL skills for life exams in reading, writing, and speaking and listening. There are no exams for pre-entry level.
You will be required to attend a minimum of 90% of your classes. Should your attendance fall below this, your place on the course, and future progression, may be at risk.
Childcare support when attending a face-to-face Adult Skills course
Our Henrietta Parker Trust (HPT) may be able to provide financial support for the childcare necessary to enable learners to attend our face-to-face adult skills courses.
Further information can be found on our dedicated HPT website.
Terms and conditions, including eligibility criteria, can be found on our special offers webpage.
We welcome learners with additional needs and disabilities. When you enrol please let us know if you would like to discuss your extra support needs with a member of the Supported Learning team who will then contact you as soon as possible.
If you are enrolling within ten days of the course start date, we may not be able to contact you before your first class. Surrey Adult Learning values and supports equality and diversity by promoting fairness and respect at all times.