Update 18 October - Stoke Crossroads Lights
Our engineers have found and repaired the fault on these lights. The fault was complex and took longer to find and repair than we had originally thought. Apologies for any delays caused.
These works are being carried out at night.
There will be some road closures during the works, but these will be kept to a minimum.
To keep up-to-date, please subscribe to our monthly newsletter.
Proposed works plan
We intend to improve the junction by providing new/improved pedestrian/cyclist crossing facilities on all arms as well as the adjoining A3 southbound off-slip junction.
More details on the scheme include:
- To improve and widen the existing pavements around the junction as well as the footway links to the A3 southbound off-slip junction
- To introduce intelligent traffic signalling at the crossroads that would prioritise approaching buses
- To convert the operation of the traffic signals at the crossroads and the A3 southbound off-slip into a single junction
Details of the works
- Mainly night working, under lane closure 8pm until 6am.
- Some final resurfacing work will be done with road closures, this has been kept to a minimum.
- A temporary traffic signal system that replicates the existing system will be deployed during the works
- All emergency vehicles will be allowed through the works.
- Diversions to be put in place where needed - The official diversion will be signed, this has to account for HGVs and low bridges, but we expect locals to use shorter routes.
There is no easy way to cross Stoke Crossroads for pedestrians and cyclists. The junction gets very busy and can get congested. Some cyclists prefer to cross the road instead of using the existing footbridge
This scheme has been modelled and tested for suitability and the results of the modelling indicate that it will have a beneficial effect on traffic. This is due to the operation of the crossroads and the A3 southbound off-slip as a single junction. Other features include:
- New crossing points will only be active when the traffic has been stopped at the junctions – Pedestrians etc will not be able to override the sequencing of the lights and stop traffic.
- The lights will detect late buses and allow them through.
We will be issuing regular updates on this web page as the scheme progresses. Enter your email address below to keep up to date with the Stoke Crossroad improvement works.
Files available to download
- Stoke Crossroads, Guildford work stages map (213.1 KB)
Map of Stoke Crossroads, Guildford planned work stages
- Stoke crossroads work diversion route 1A map 1 (265.3 KB)
Stoke Crossroads works diversion route Phase 1A map
- Stoke crossroads diversion for section 1A 2 of 2 (262.9 KB)
The diversion map for Stoke Crossroads refurbishment for section 1A; 2 of 2
- Map of Stoke Crossroads Guildford Phase 1B Diversion (1.2 MB)
Stoke Crossroads works diversion route Phase 1B map
- Map of Stoke Crossroads works diversion route Phase 2B map 1 (269.0 KB)
Stoke Crossroads works diversion route Phase 2B map
- Map of Stoke Crossroads works diversion route Phase 2B map 2 (255.1 KB)
Stoke Crossroads works diversion route Phase 2B map 2 of 2
- Map of Stoke Crossroads works diversion route Phase 3A map 1 (268.2 KB)
Diversion route for Stoke crossroads work phase 3A map
- Map of Stoke Crossroads works diversion route Phase 3A map 2 (268.0 KB)
Stoke Crossroads works diversion route Phase 3A map 2
- Map of Stoke Crossroads works diversion route Phase 3B (274.0 KB)
Stoke Crossroads works diversion route Phase 3B map
- Stoke Crossroads works diversion route Phase 3C map (269.3 KB)
Stoke Crossroads works diversion route Phase 3C map
- Map of Stoke Crossroads works diversion route Phase 4A (1.2 MB)
Stoke Crossroads works diversion route Phase 4A map