Update 30 October
Works are progressing well. The majority of works carried out so far are either underground or are focused on building the right-hand turn by adjusting the six traffic islands in the middle of the roundabout.
The trial with day-time lane closures went well and we are using them where necessary. If there is a negative impact on traffic the lane closure can be removed quickly.
Previous update 26 September
We are trialling using a daytime lane closure on the A331 coming from the M3 into the Meadows roundabout tomorrow (Thursday 27 September) between 10am and 2.30pm. If traffic is not affected by the lane closure we will start using it from next week during the same times. If there is a negative impact on traffic the lane closure can be removed quickly.
Working during the day as well as night-time will help us keep the project moving.
The temporary traffic light system was installed on the roundabout in August and is working well. This specialist equipment is able to communicate with our central network allowing us to optimise the phasing of the traffic lights in order to improve performance and reduce waiting times throughout the works. This equipment can also be remotely controlled and adjusted with the use of CCTV cameras to try and fix possible traffic flow issues.
There will be night-time lane closures; and at times the closures of the following slip roads:-
- A331 to A30 slip road and
- Slip road into Stanhope Road (from the Meadows roundabout)
Closures will only be in place Monday to Friday 8pm to 6am.
There will be small signed diversions for the closures of the slip road – going around the roundabout for the first A331 to A30 slip road closure, and going south along the A331 back around the next roundabout and then returning up the A331 turning right into Stanhope Road.
Work to reduce congestion and journey times at the Meadows roundabout near Camberley is progressing well.
To minimise congestion and delays during the main works, most activity – such as lane closures – will take place at night.
The works are expected to take about one year, and include:
- Creating a new right turn from the A30 in Blackwater so drivers can head on to the A331 southbound towards Frimley and the M3 without using the main roundabout
- Lengthening the queuing lane for drivers approaching on the A331 from Frimley and the M3
- New traffic lights with better timings so drivers can go around the roundabout with in less time
- Improving the crossings for pedestrians and cyclists
Please follow the link below to view the proposed improvements:
First stages of works
- 9 July for 10 weeks - A30 Blackwater approach and A321 Sandhurst approach - work begins to widen the road to three lanes.
We will be working Monday to Friday throughout the day and night. The most disruptive works, and lane closures will be carried out at night.
The works carried out during the day will mainly be along the pavement which will be closed. There will be a new narrowed lane layout, but all lanes will remain open.
The works being carried out at night will require two lanes to be closed. One lane will remain open at all times.
For further information please see the following:
- A331 Shared Route April 2017 Newsletter (PDF)
- Cycle Corridor Improvements Surrey Heath (PDF)
- Meadows Improvements e-newsletter issue 2
Ways to keep up to date
- There will be progress reports published on this webpage
- You can also get updates straight to your inbox by signing up for monthly e-newsletters. To receive these just enter your email address in the box below
- Follow @SurreyTravel on Twitter for updates
To keep up to date with the Meadows improvement project enter your email address below.
Frequently asked questions
Please follow the link below to view our frequently asked questions: