A30 and Camberley Town Centre Improvement works
What will we be doing?
We will be implementing a package of transport improvement measures for the A30 and Camberley Town Centre highway network to maintain bus reliability, improve accessibility in and around the town centre, and improve peak hour delays on the A30. The works will be undertaken in three phases to limit travel disruptions as much as possible. This is a joint partnership project funded by Surrey County Council, Surrey Heath Borough Council and the Enterprise M3 Local Economic Partnership.
- Improvements at the A30/Knoll Road junction to implement a staggered toucan crossing to benefit pedestrians and cyclists. A toucan crossing provides a controlled crossing designed to keep pedestrians and cyclist safe when they need to cross the road.
- Improvement work to pedestrian and cycle facilities by widening the shared pavement/cycle track on the southern side of A30 serving the town centre.
- Improvement work to the A30/Frimley Road junction to assist bus turning movements and remove impediments to general traffic flow on the A30.
- Optimisation of traffic signals along the A30 to improve traffic flow for all vehicles and reduce journey times.
- Carriageway resurfacing will be carried out adjacent to the above works where necessary.
- Shortening the A30 bus lane – retaining the core section between Grand Avenue and Frimley Road – and signage improvements, so that all drivers know when and where the bus lane is in operation.
- As part of the review of the bus lane we will be trialling an extension of bus lane operating hours to 24 hours a day, 7 days a week (the current hours of operation are Monday to Friday 7-8:30am and 4-7pm).
- Amendments to parking restrictions on the parking bays west of Frimley Road to ease the flow of traffic.
- Improvements to bus shelters on the A30, adjacent to Victoria Avenue, The Avenue and Park Street, to improve the quality of the public transport offer in Camberley and encourage greater use of buses.
- Potential revisions to the waiting restrictions on the A30 between Frimley Road and Meadows
- Start date: Late February 2021
- Duration: Up to end July 2021. Surrey County Council has successfully reduced the original 8-month work programme to reduce the period of inconvenience caused by the works.
- Scheme cost: £2.54M
Keeping residents and businesses informed
Surrey County Council will commence with our Works Information Programme to keep residents and businesses informed of the works well before it begins. We will be working with resident groups, SHBC, the Borough Economic team, Camberley town centre management and business groups to support us reach out to stakeholders affected by the scheme.
The Government and Department for Transport have asked the Highway Sector Council to make every effort to deliver essential highways projects on all local authority highway networks, whilst abiding by the COVID-19 safe working practices. We are therefore carrying out these works in line with central government and COVID-19 safe working practises and in accordance with the CLC Site Operating Procedures, endorsed by Public Health England.
Our sub-contractor will have appropriate procedures in place to ensure their staff can comply with government advice. We would ask that you please respect these workers as they deliver these highways services.
This scheme will remain in constant review in line with UK Government advice.
You can email us at A30.TCImprovements@surreycc.gov.uk if you have any questions or comments.