Night works - May 2021
Resurfacing works are being undertaken overnight on the A30. These works will continue on the nights of 24 and 25 May and 2 June. Night works take place between 8pm and 6am and are necessary on traffic sensitive roads in order to reduce the disruption caused by road closures during the day time. These works will create some noise, however we aim to finish the noisiest works by midnight.
What are we doing?
We are implementing a package of transport improvement measures for the A30 and Camberley Town Centre highway network to maintain bus reliability, improve accessibility in and around the town centre, and improve peak hour delays on the A30. The works will be undertaken in three phases to limit travel disruptions as much as possible. This is a joint partnership project funded by Surrey County Council, Surrey Heath Borough Council and the Enterprise M3 Local Economic Partnership.
- Improvements to the traffic signals and layout of the A30/Lower Charles Street junction to improve the passage of vehicles through the junction.
- Improvements at the A30/Knoll Road junction to implement a staggered toucan crossing to benefit pedestrians and cyclists. A toucan crossing provides a controlled crossing designed to keep pedestrians and cyclist safe when they need to cross the road.
- Improvement work to pedestrian and cycle facilities by widening the shared pavement/cycle track on the southern side of A30 serving the town centre.
- Improvement work to the A30/Frimley Road junction to assist bus turning movements and remove impediments to general traffic flow on the A30.
- Optimisation of traffic signals along the A30 to improve traffic flow for all vehicles and reduce journey times.
- Carriageway resurfacing will be carried out adjacent to the above works where necessary.
- Shortening the A30 bus lane – retaining the core section between Grand Avenue and Frimley Road – and signage improvements, so that all drivers know when and where the bus lane is in operation.
- As part of the review of the bus lane we will be trialling an extension of bus lane operating hours to 24 hours a day, 7 days a week (the current hours of operation are Monday to Friday 7-8:30am and 4-7pm).
- Amendments to parking restrictions on the parking bays west of Frimley Road to ease the flow of traffic.
- Improvements to bus shelters on the A30, adjacent to Victoria Avenue, The Avenue and Park Street, to improve the quality of the public transport offer in Camberley and encourage greater use of buses.
- Potential revisions to the waiting restrictions on the A30 between Frimley Road and Meadows
- Start date: February 22, 2021
- Duration: Up to end August 2021. Surrey County Council has successfully reduced the original 8-month work programme to reduce the period of inconvenience caused by the works.
- Scheme cost: £2.54M
At the beginning of work on each phase, it will be necessary to implement some overnight road closures in order to set up the site safely
The majority of works will be completed under lane closures on A30 London Road to try and minimise disruption wherever possible.
Keeping residents and businesses informed
Surrey County Council will commence with our Works Information Programme to keep residents and businesses informed of the works well before it begins. We will be working with resident groups, SHBC, the Borough Economic team, Camberley town centre management and business groups to support us reach out to stakeholders affected by the scheme.
Residents and Businesses Engagement Events
We are hosting virtual events to provide you with further details about the scheme and to give you an opportunity to ask any questions you may have. Please use the links below to access the Microsoft Teams meetings.
- Business Forum: 11 February 12pm to 1pm
- Resident Forum: 11 February, 7pm to 8pm
- Business Forum: 16 February, 12pm to 1pm
- Resident Forum: 16 February 7pm to 8pm
Frequently asked questions
We have produced this list as a response to key questions relating to the improvement schemes along A30 London Road. We will continue to update this webpage with any future questions we receive for the benefit of residents, businesses and stakeholders.
- Why are we doing this scheme? The scheme involves the implementation of a package of transport improvement measures for the A30 and Camberley Town Centre's highway network. This are designed to maintain bus reliability, improve accessibility in and around the town centre, and improve peak hour delays on the A30. These measures are designed to help with traffic flow and improve journey times by making the road network more efficient.
- How long will the construction works take? The works are scheduled to commence 22 February and be completed by August 2021. These will be undertaken in three phases to limit travel disruptions as much as possible.
- Who is managing the scheme? This trial is being led by Surrey County Council as the Local Highway Authority.
- Why are we doing the works now during a COVID-19 lockdown? Surrey County Council fully recognise that this is a difficult period for businesses and residents. Nevertheless, carrying out the construction works now during a period of reduced traffic demand is likely to cause less disruption in the future when the quantity of traffic returns closer to pre-pandemic levels.
- Will there be a diversion route in place during the construction phase? Details of the proposed traffic management will be published on this website closer to the start of the scheduled programme.
- How will you inform residents and businesses of the proposed works? We will be working with resident groups, SHBC, the Borough Economic team, Camberley town centre management and business groups to support us to reach out to stakeholders affected by the scheme. Surrey County Council will also be publishing regular updates on this website to keep all stakeholders informed of progress.
The Government and Department for Transport have asked the Highway Sector Council to make every effort to deliver essential highways projects on all local authority highway networks, whilst abiding by the COVID-19 safe working practices. We are therefore carrying out these works in line with central government and COVID-19 safe working practises and in accordance with the CLC Site Operating Procedures, endorsed by Public Health England.
Our sub-contractor will have appropriate procedures in place to ensure their staff can comply with government advice. We would ask that you please respect these workers as they deliver these highways services.
This scheme will remain in constant review in line with UK Government advice.
You can email us at A30.TCImprovements@surreycc.gov.uk if you have any questions or comments.