A31 Local Enterprise Partnership (LEP) Project
Coronavirus: how the outbreak is affecting our roadworks and maintenance
Surrey County Council is resuming its essential roadworks programme to help keep routes open and safe for key workers during the coronavirus restrictions.
More information and updates can be found on our Roadworks coronavirus page.
- Surface dressing works
- Scheme overview
- Upcoming drainage work
- Upcoming surfacing work
- Additional surfacing work
- Completed works
- Frequently asked questions
Surface dressing works - Completed
Due to the improvement in the weather forecast, we had the opportunity to surface the A31 in both directions before this year's surface dressing season finished at the end of August. This work is weather dependent and the recent wet weather meant the works were initially postponed.
The A31 Local Enterprise Partnership (LEP) project has been in the planning and development process for a number of months and aims to improve the drainage and resilience of sections of the A31 network (including some vegetation clearance). This project is being partly funded by the Enterprise M3 LEP and the objective is to mitigate the effects of major flooding events in the future. The project is being delivered in several phases some of which include drainage improvements, repairs and carriageway surfacing.
Some of the benefits include:
- Improving overall road safety for road users
- Reducing the likelihood of surface water flooding
- Prolonging the life of the carriageway
- Helping to deliver economic prosperity in Surrey
Upcoming drainage work
A31 Farnham Bypass, Farnham (eastbound only)
- Location: Eastbound approach to Shepherd and Flock roundabout
- Anticipated start date: October 2020
Upcoming surfacing work
A31 Alton Road, Farnham
- Location: from the Coxbridge Roundabout to the Hampshire County boundary
- Anticipated start date and duration: 13 July 2020, for approximately 3 weeks, Monday to Friday only
- Traffic management: Surfacing works will be carried out under night time road closures from 7pm – 6am. The eastbound carriageway will be closed from 13 July - 22 July, followed by the westbound carriageway from 23 July - 31 July. The eastbound and westbound carriageways will not be closed at the same time. When working on the eastbound carriageway there will be a lane closure on the westbound carriageway and the same in reverse when working westbound. This is to protect our workforce and to facilitate works on the crossover points.
Additional surfacing work
As part of our additional investment towards the A31 LEP project, funding from our Major Maintenance budget will be allocated for surfacing of Shepherd and Flock.
Traffic management: Surfacing works will be carried out under night time lane and road closures from 8pm – 6am.
Completed drainage and carriageway surfacing works
A31 Alton Road, Farnham (eastbound and westbound) - drainage
- Location: from the Coxbridge Roundabout to the Hampshire county boundary and Farnham Bypass eastbound 530 metres east of the Coxbridge roundabout
- Dates: 27 April to 13 July 2020
A31 Hogs Back, Puttenham (eastbound) - drainage
- Location: 600 metres west of the Puttenham Hill slip
- Dates: 24 June to 29 June 2020
A31 Farnham Bypass (eastbound) - drainage
- Location: Approximately 550 metres east of Coxbridge Roundabout
- Dates: 22 June to 24 June
A31 Hogs Back, Puttenham (westbound) - drainage
- Location: Approximately 310 metres west of Puttenham Hill junction
- Dates: 22 June to 24 June 2020
A31 Runfold Diversion, Tongham - drainage
- Location: Slip road of A331 Blackwater Valley/ A31 Hogs Back interchange
- Dates: 12 June
A31 Hogs Back (westbound) - surfacing
- Location: East of the café to west of 'Cedarfield'
- Dates: 14 August to 29 August 2019
A31 Hogs Back/Farnham Road - surfacing
- Location: Down Lane to A3 slip road
- Dates: 1 to 2 and 7 to 14 August 2019
Frequently asked questions
It's a very long road, how are these works going to be carried out?
The works will be carried out in sections and the anticipated dates and locations will be published on this website prior to works commencing.
What hours will you be working?
Most of our drainage works will be carried out during the day time under lane closures. Works will take place from 7:30am to 5:30pm Monday to Friday and 8am to 5pm on Saturdays.
The lane closures will remain in place 24 hours a day for the duration of the works. There may be some road closures required on surrounding roads to facilitate the works on the A31.
Advanced notice will be provided on this web page and via advanced warning signs and leaflets prior to any closures needed for these drainage works.
Will there be any road closures required?
Road closures will be required for the surfacing work. We will try to limit the disruption these closures will cause by undertaking this work on weeknights.
Most drainage improvement works will be conducted under lane closures during the day.
Files available to download
- A31 Alton Road, Farnham (PDF)
Information leaflet for residents, business and road users about the drainage works on the A31 Alton Road, Farnham