The A23 Local Enterprise Partnership (LEP) project began in early January 2018 and aims to improve the drainage and resilience of sections of the A23 network following on from the flooding during the winter of 2013/14. This project is being partly funded by the Coast to Capital LEP and the objective is to mitigate the effects of major flooding events in the future. The project is being delivered in several phases some of which include drainage improvements, repairs and carriageway resurfacing.
The drainage investigation element of the project will include:
- Drain cleansing
- CCTV Surveying
- Drainage system mapping
Some of the benefits of the works include:
- Improving the overall road safety for vehicles, pedestrians and cyclists
- Helping to reduce the likelihood of surface water flooding
- Prolonging the life of the carriageway
- Helping to deliver economic prosperity in Surrey
- Improving the road conditions for the new shared pedestrian / cycle path and bus stops.
To find out about the on-going works to construct the new shared pedestrian / cycle path along the A23 please visit our A23 Horley Road, Redhill web page.
Stages of works
Daytime works under temporary multi-way traffic lights between 9:30am – 4pm (weekdays only):
- Bonehurst Road between the junctions of Chestnut Road and Crossoak Lane
Dates: from 8 to 12 January 2018 - works now completed
- Bonehurst Road/Brighton Road between the junctions of Beechwood Villas and Woodhatch Road
Dates: from 22 January to 2 February 2018
- Horley Road between the junctions of Woodhatch Road and Woodlands Road
Anticipated dates: from 5 to 9 February 2018
- Brighton Road between the junctions of Woodlands Road and Belfry Roundabout
Anticipated dates: from 19 to 23 February 2018.
Night works using lane closures between 8pm – 6am (weeknights only):
- Balcombe Roundabout (including all roundabout junctions) between the roundabout and Chestnut Road
Dates: from 15 to 19 January 2018 - works now completed
- Redstone Hill between Marketfield Way Roundabout and Noke Drive
Dates: from 22 to 25 January 2018 - works now completed
- Marketfield Way/Princess Way between Belfry Roundabout and Gloucester Road
Anticipated dates: from 12 to 14 February 2018
- Three Arch/Maple Road junction with A23 Horley Road
Anticipated dates: from 15 to 17 February 2018.
Please note: adverse weather conditions can delay works so please be aware that these dates and working hours are subject to change; please therefore refer to this page for the most up to date information.
Frequently asked questions
It’s a very long road, how are these works going to be carried out?
The works will be carried out in sections and the anticipated dates and locations can be found above.
What hours will you be working?
During the day we will be working off-peak between 9:30am and 4pm (weekdays only). During the night we will be working between 8pm and 6am (weeknights only). This is in order to minimise the disruption to traffic during busy periods.
Why are you not working at night or at the weekend?
Night or weekend working significantly increases the overall cost of a project and it will therefore be unaffordable to complete the scheme within the current budget. However we are anticipating any roundabout, town centre and resurfacing works will be undertaken at night.
Will there be any road closures required?
Any resurfacing element of these works will require a road closure – it is anticipated that the traffic management arrangements required for the other works on the project will be lane closures and stop and go boards or the use of portable lights.