We are about to begin implementing a number of highway safety improvements along the A217 from Reigate to Horley as part of a £1.1 million Department for Transport (DfT) funded project. There are approximately 13 different smaller schemes along the route that will be implemented at different times throughout 2020.
In November 2016 the DfT announced a £175 million "Safer Roads Fund" for English local authorities to bid for to improve safety specifically on the 50 worst A-routes identified by the Road Safety Foundation. Surrey County Council were therefore invited to submit proposals for the A217 between Reigate and Horley. The bid documents and proposals were submitted on 29 September 2017.
In summary the bid includes the following proposals:
- the provision of raised rib edge of carriageway markings
- central hatching
- speed limit reduction
- enhanced pedestrian crossing facilities
- enhanced central islands
- vehicle crash barrier
- signalised junction improvements
- improved signing and delineation of bends.
Together these measures will assist in managing vehicle speeds and reducing the risk and severity of collisions on this key strategic route.
As the DfT has now made the funding available for this scheme, we are currently proceeding with the completion of final design works with a view to starting on site from May.
The works will be split across 12 sites and will be carried out late 2020 into and through 2021.
- Site 1: A217 Bell Street - junction with Bancroft Road, Reigate - 22 February 2021
- Site 2: A217 Bell Street - near Lesbourne Road, Reigate - 29 March 2021
- Site 3: A217 Bell Street - between Lesbourne Road and Parkgate Road, Reigate - completed
- Site 4: A217 Cockshot Hill - between St Marys Road to Park Lane East, Reigate - 25 January 2021
- Site 5: A217 Cockshot Hill - near Hill House Drive, Reigate - 22 February 2021
- Site 6: A217 Dovers Green Road - between Woodhatch Road and Sandcross Lane, Reigate - 22 March 2021
- Site 7: A217 Dovers Green Road - between Castle Drive and Sandcross Lane, Reigate - nearly complete
- Site 8: A217 Dovers Green Road - near Ironsbottom, Sidlow - 22 March 2021
- Site 9: A217 Reigate Road, Sidlow - completed
- Site 10: A217 Reigate Road, Hookwood - between Duxhurst Lane and Horse Hill - nearly complete
- Site 11: A217 Hookwood Roundabout - near Sideways Lane - nearly complete
- Site 12: A217 Longbridge Roundabout, Horley - junction with Povey Cross Road/ Brighton Road - nearly complete
Please note information was correct at the time of publishing but is subject to change.