The Surrey County Council Localism scheme replaced the Lengthsman scheme. The scheme helps to conserve and enhance the character of the county, retain attractive towns, villages and countryside.
The County Council is facing financial challenges. Budgets have been reduced because of extra demands (such as adult social care) and changes to the central government funding formula.
As a result of reduced budgets, the level of funding available for localism work has been reduced. It is the responsibility of the Local Committee to determine how resources are allocated and whether localism grants can be prioritised in the future.
If your organisation would like to carry out any of these works, by paying for them from your budgets, or for more information, please read our Information pack for localism (PDF) or contact our roads and transport service.
Type of work included in the scheme (subject to agreement)
The following types of work, which would normally be carried out by the highway authority, are:
- Grass cutting
- Cutting back vegetation overhanging the road or footway
- Clearing footways of weeds/moss
- Removing vegetation from parapets or fences
- Signs, excluding street name plates (including reflector posts) for example: cleaning, minor repairs
- Drainage for example: localised ditching, cleaning channels
- Storm debris and litter
In some cases, hedges or ditches are not maintained by the council and would therefore not be eligible for the localism scheme. Contact our roads and transport service for more information about this.
Requirements to consider before applying
Before applying, please ensure that you have the following:
- A minimum of £10 million Public Liability Insurance
- The relevant training and experience to carry out the work (for those who are carrying out the work)
- Contact your County Councillor to discuss your request and get their support
How to apply
Please email your proposal to email@example.com and we will be in touch within 28 days to discuss your request.
Files available to download
- Information pack for localism (381.5 KB)
Detailed information about every aspect of the Localism scheme, including frequently asked questions