There are currently two major transport schemes in the borough of Runnymede:
Within Runnymede, Egham's close proximity to Heathrow Airport, the M25 and London, makes it an economically significant area. Although Egham is home to some major businesses such as British Gas and Veolia Water, located on the A308 The Causeway, developer investment and recruitment is constrained due to congestion and poor transport infrastructure in the area.
Runnymede Roundabout project
Runnymede Roundabout is situated at the junction of the A30, Egham By-pass, A308 The Causeway and next to junction 13 of the M25 at Egham. It is one of the busiest junctions in Surrey, suffering from high levels of congestion during the peak periods. Pedestrians and cyclists also have difficulties in crossing the roads at the roundabout.
Our main contractor, Buckingham Group, began construction work on Runnymede Roundabout on Sunday 9 July 2017. Construction works are anticipated to take place for a period of eight months until March 2018, subject to weather and conditions.
What is happening?
Significant measures are planned to improve traffic management and the efficiency of vehicle flows as well as making it easier for pedestrians and cyclists to safely navigate Runnymede Roundabout. These measures include:
- Widening and resurfacing the carriageway.
- Providing a new ‘U-turn’ facility between the A30 ‘Glanty Loop’ off-slip and the A308 to Staines.
- Introducing signals at the junctions.
- Installing toucan crossing facilities across the junction arms.
- Improving drainage infrastructure.
- Creating a new shared-use path to the north-east of the roundabout.
The outline plans for the Runnymede Roundabout improvement works can be found at the bottom of this page, these plans cover the A30 Glanty Loop approach and the roundabout itself.
How can I keep up to date?
We will be posting regular updates throughout the project to keep you informed on progress and to provide advance information on upcoming work which may affect road users who travel through the area. You can keep up to date in a number of ways:
Via our web page
Visit our roadworks page for information on the latest schedule of works and answers to 'Frequently asked questions'.
Via our newsletter
- Runnymede Roundabout Newsletter #1: June 2017 (Advanced Warning)
- Runnymede Roundabout Newsletter #2: July 2017
Enter your email address below to receive regular email updates on the Runnymede Roundabout improvement works.
Egham Sustainable Transport Package (STP)
Egham STP includes walking, cycling and bus improvements, focusing on the A308 The Causeway between Woodhaw roundabout and Staines Bridge the key business corridor in the area. The potential reduction in traffic from the measures identified above will assist in tackling congestion in the area and benefit local, national and international businesses.
Works commenced on site on 22 August 2016 and works were substantially completed by January 2017. There are a few small areas of remedial works to be carried out, which are currently being addressed.
Find out more
The newsletters below provide updates on the work completed so far and future delivery plans.
- Egham STP Newsletter August 2016 (PDF)
- Egham STP Newsletter October 2016 (PDF)
- Egham STP Newsletter November 2016 (PDF)
- Egham STP Newsletter February 2017 (PDF)
The outline plans for the scheme can be found at the bottom of this page. The plans are placed in order from west (Section 1) to east (Section 7) along the Causeway.
Files available to download
- Runnymede Roundabout Plan - Glanty Loop Layout (752.8 KB)
General arrangement plan of the Glanty Loop section of the Runnymede Roundabout scheme
- Runnymede Roundabout Plan - Roundabout Layout (1.2 MB)
General arrangement plan of the main roundabout section of the Runnymede Roundabout scheme
- Egham STP Plan - The Causeway Section 1 (663.1 KB)
General arrangement plan of section 1 of the Egham STP scheme
- Egham STP Plan - The Causeway Section 2 (669.8 KB)
General arrangement plan of section 2 of the Egham STP scheme
- Egham STP Plan - The Causeway Section 3 (757.2 KB)
General arrangement plan of section 3 of the Egham STP scheme
- Egham STP Plan - The Causeway Section 4 (752.8 KB)
General arrangement plan of section 4 of the Egham STP scheme
- Egham STP Plan - The Causeway Section 5 (741.7 KB)
General arrangement plan of section 5 of the Egham STP scheme
- Egham STP Plan - The Causeway Section 6 (839.0 KB)
General arrangement plan of section 6 of the Egham STP scheme
- Egham STP Plan - The Causeway Section 7 (775.0 KB)
General arrangement plan of section 7 of the Egham STP scheme