Skip to main content

Using a crane or other equipment or machinery on the road

Do I need a licence to place a crane or other machinery on the public highway?

You will need a licence if you are placing a crane (either vehicle mounted or tower), cherry picker or other equipment/machinery on the public highway for any length of time.

What are the terms and conditions?

Before you apply, please read the terms and conditions enclosed with the application form below.

How do I apply for a licence?

To apply for a new licence, please use the cranes or (other machinery) online application form on the website.

Alternatively, please fill out and return the application form at the bottom of this page, along with the necessary fee and documentation.

Please note that if you wish to change your existing licence, you will need to submit a new application form.

How much does the licence cost?

The cost of the licence is £175.

Please enclose a cheque made payable to Surrey County Council, with your application form.

Return to top

What documentation is required?

You will need to submit a suitable plan showing details of the proposed works, reasons for your application and a copy of details of public liability insurance for a minimum of £5 million.

How long does it take to process my application?

Five working days notice is required to process completed applications from the date of receipt.

If the project requires either temporary signals or a road opening licence or a road closure licence to run concurrently with the crane licence, please read the information and make allowances for the time scales involved in processing these applications.

How long is my application valid for?

The duration of the licence is open to discussion depending upon the nature of the work being undertaken, classification of road and volume of passing pedestrian/ vehicle traffic.

What is a traffic management plan?

Before we can issue a licence the Local Highways Officer and Streetworks Coordinator must assess your application and if necessary inspect the proposed site. The licence can only be granted if your application is supported by a suitable scale plan showing the area of the footway and/or carriageway to be occupied and detailing your proposed system of traffic and/or pedestrian management. This plan must be drafted by a NRSWA (New Roads and Street Works Act, Chapter 8) accredited contractor or company.

The traffic and/or pedestrian management plan should detail the following where necessary:

  1. Size of works area, working space and safety zone in the area to be marked off with cones.
  2. Positioning of crane on the footway/highway to include width of hazard, sideways and longways clearance.
  3. Lead-in and exit tapers.
  4. Advance warning signs with the exact working and locations at which they will be sited.
  5. Bollard, barrier, lights and/or cone spacing.
  6. Stop/go spacing

What if I have any queries, concerns or complaints?

If you have queries, concerns or complaints about the licence, you can contact us via our contact centre either online or by telephone. For further details on logging a comment, compliment or complaints please see our website.

If you have any queries, concerns or complaints about the location or safety of materials on the public highway, please either contact us by telephone via our contact centre or report them online directly to us.



Files available to download

  • Crane Application (134.8 KB)
    PDF application form for using a crane or other equipment on the highway